Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wizard Guard

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami

Wizard Guard

Ok, this ISN'T a new guard. I basically just call it the 'Wizard Guard' to describe this way of playing guard (and not to mention that I originally thought the 'whizzer' technique was called the 'wizard'). So, moving right along, this guard is based off of maintaining a whizzer on one arm, along with maintaining either wrist, elbow, or neck/face control with your other arm. I guess you could consider it the opposite of Prison Guard. I've been playing with this for a while now and it has provided me quite a bit of success. I give my coach a much better fight while rolling and, on other classmates, have turned triangles and omoplatas into high percentage techniques of mine (outside of the rubber guard of course). It's great because it is a good control for MMA, doesn't require much flexibility and you can easily transition into rubber guard without going through the usual posture battle (still a battle) required for rubber guard.

Here's a couple videos I found to illustrate. What do you guys think???!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7coGiwX0RMw

Array

School

Array

School

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Cool name. I love working off the overhook. I have a gameplan mapped out of about 25 techniques from the overhook. Very powerful guard for MMA or the streets.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Do you know of the Pyramid in Mastering Rubber Guard book?

Array

School
    Just looked up the vid. That's a really awesome move! Definitely gonna drill that today.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Marshall View Post
    Do you know of the Pyramid in Mastering Rubber Guard book?
    Good call. Really should look into pyramid... Or meatbagger if your an advance RG player already. Pyramid is a refined version of the overhook guard. The overhook guard isn't played the same in gi as in nogi. With the gi you can grip the lapel with the overhook hand. With no gi the pyramid is tried and true and in my opinion the best basic version of the overhook guard for nogi. You know the rubber guard is an overhook guard game too, ya?

Array

School
    10th Planet Joliet, Midwest Training Center

Pyramid

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRay View Post
    Good call. Really should look into pyramid... Or meatbagger if your an advance RG player already. Pyramid is a refined version of the overhook guard. The overhook guard isn't played the same in gi as in nogi. With the gi you can grip the lapel with the overhook hand. With no gi the pyramid is tried and true and in my opinion the best basic version of the overhook guard for nogi. You know the rubber guard is an overhook guard game too, ya?
    i'm going to look into the pyramid today. where is the best place to find material on it?

Array

School
    blank
    I'm a really big fan of overhooking and the pyramid.

Also, when you get proficient with it the transition into the gi is just glorious once you get in the habit of getting a cross-collar grip with the overhooking hand.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Oh shit! Toffolo just amped my gi game. I never played pyramid that way. Awesome man, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast