Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I roll to the pain...

Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.

Westley: No. To the pain.

Prince Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.

Westley: I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.

Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.

Westley: It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.

Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.

Westley: I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.

Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.

Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

Prince Humperdinck: I think you're bluffing.

Westley: It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.

[slowly rises and points sword directly at the prince]

Westley: DROP... YOUR... SWORD!

Prince Humperdinck: [Humperdinck's mouth hangs open, drops sword to floor]

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hewson View Post
    I am going through this phase at the moment where I treat at every roll I have at the gym as if it is a real fight and it is to the death.
    Have you seen the eye gouge rubber guard technique in the new book? As the hand comes up to hold the missing eye boom zombie the arm to the mat.

It may be true that you'll perform how you train But is training each class like a tournament going to help you to develop technically fastest? Chances are no and youll injure people or yourself.

That doesnt mean you should never roll hard and develop gameness.

Sparing is a tool that can help you work different areas of your game like sometimes try and hold one specific position when you spar sometimes try and go into bad spots and not be submitted sometimes try and blast through your willing opponent. I think if you only ever roll hard your missing out.

Array

School
    Spartan Club Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.Harris View Post
    I roll to the pain...

Prince Humperdinck: First things first, to the death.

Westley: No. To the pain.

Prince Humperdinck: I don't think I'm quite familiar with that phrase.

Westley: I'll explain and I'll use small words so that you'll be sure to understand, you warthog faced buffoon.

Prince Humperdinck: That may be the first time in my life a man has dared insult me.

Westley: It won't be the last. To the pain means the first thing you will lose will be your feet below the ankles. Then your hands at the wrists. Next your nose.

Prince Humperdinck: And then my tongue I suppose, I killed you too quickly the last time. A mistake I don't mean to duplicate tonight.

Westley: I wasn't finished. The next thing you will lose will be your left eye followed by your right.

Prince Humperdinck: And then my ears, I understand let's get on with it.

Westley: WRONG. Your ears you keep and I'll tell you why. So that every shriek of every child at seeing your hideousness will be yours to cherish. Every babe that weeps at your approach, every woman who cries out, "Dear God! What is that thing," will echo in your perfect ears. That is what to the pain means. It means I leave you in anguish, wallowing in freakish misery forever.

Prince Humperdinck: I think you're bluffing.

Westley: It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all.

[slowly rises and points sword directly at the prince]

Westley: DROP... YOUR... SWORD!

Prince Humperdinck: [Humperdinck's mouth hangs open, drops sword to floor]
    hahaha great movie!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    When rolling hard, I tend to force transitions and submissions instead of letting them come to me. By doing that, you lose your flow and miss out on the opportunities that your opponents give you

Array

School
    Immersion MMA
    I remember an interview GSP did earlier this year where he spoke about his mentality when he is training for a fight and how it was different to when he was training normally and not in fight camp. It was missing from my game and now I will die on my shield in battle. I actually enjoy getting smashed by the stronger and better guys because sometimes I can hold on just long enough for them to run out of gas and then I can steal the win. It is something I learned in Kickboxing, I learned early on that the person with the better conditioning can steal the fight. And I believe it is the same in Jiu Jitsu with these three things Gameness, Skill and Strength in that order.

I am not a crusher type of fighter, I do not dig my elbows into the temples or anything. I am just not going to let someone win.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hewson View Post
    I remember an interview GSP did earlier this year where he spoke about his mentality when he is training for a fight and how it was different to when he was training normally and not in fight camp. It was missing from my game and now I will die on my shield in battle. I actually enjoy getting smashed by the stronger and better guys because sometimes I can hold on just long enough for them to run out of gas and then I can steal the win. It is something I learned in Kickboxing, I learned early on that the person with the better conditioning can steal the fight. And I believe it is the same in Jiu Jitsu with these three things Gameness, Skill and Strength in that order.

I am not a crusher type of fighter, I do not dig my elbows into the temples or anything. I am just not going to let someone win.
    If you want to win a battle of stamina, but you train how you fight, then aren't you burning yourself out more than if you rolled calmly, with more focus on technique?

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    This usually leads to a reputation in the gym, and no one wants to roll with you anymore. You become that guy. Not everyone want's to roll to the death every time. I try to mix it up and not fight to the death every roll. I think of my jiu jitsu as a lifetime effort and pick my battles. Live to fight another day.

Array

School
    Immersion MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    If you want to win a battle of stamina, but you train how you fight, then aren't you burning yourself out more than if you rolled calmly, with more focus on technique?
    One can roll calm and not quit, it is not an either or situation. I will often force my opponents and sparring partners to expend their energy so it is easier later on to break their will. Eddie talks about holding onto the spider web to break your opponents will. I have to stress this point, I do not injure my sparring partners whist rolling, I just do not give up.

Sam Sales

I just play, and roll to have fun. Last thing I want is to be known as the big 200lb asshole in class that muscles his way through techniques and just smashes people. Not what its about for me. But everyone has their own individual journey I guess.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    You can go for submissions without being violent. My entire goal while rolling is for submissions. But what that means is you have to learn all of the game inbetween submissions too. Still there are very few positions you cannot find a sub. I am not interested in smashing painfull subs, I like nice pretty clean ones. So wheather I am rolling in training or competing I am hunting for submissions. It is true not everybody wants to be rolling to the death everytime but we are playing the game of death soooo....
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Portland Moon Head/Instructor
    My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/monzon421
    Use the discount code DEADORCHARD at Phalanxfc.com to get %15 off any purchase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast