Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hewson View Post
    I remember an interview GSP did earlier this year where he spoke about his mentality when he is training for a fight and how it was different to when he was training normally and not in fight camp. It was missing from my game and now I will die on my shield in battle. I actually enjoy getting smashed by the stronger and better guys because sometimes I can hold on just long enough for them to run out of gas and then I can steal the win. It is something I learned in Kickboxing, I learned early on that the person with the better conditioning can steal the fight. And I believe it is the same in Jiu Jitsu with these three things Gameness, Skill and Strength in that order.

I am not a crusher type of fighter, I do not dig my elbows into the temples or anything. I am just not going to let someone win.
    If you are refering to training and rolling at your gym with your friends, IMHO you should not be thinking about "winning" or losing. Winner in every roll is the one who learns the most..

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    "The Spice must flow..."

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Halstead View Post
    Simply put, don't break your toys. If you go hard all the time either you or your teammates will get hurt. This is a marathon not a sprint. Training is all about balance, you will know this when people start to avoid you or try to hurt you. We have a rule of thumb at 10pcm hit as hard as you want to get hit.
    Keep postin' Casey, we need more post from brown and black belts.

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    A lot of it depends on the particular training partner. If its a training partner that I know my skill level is much higher I will generally focus on executing newly learned techniques by the book whether it be a submission, sweep or escape. This allows me to become more proficient while the less experienced indiviual also gets a variety of reps in because I'm not trying to destroy him.

At the different gyms I have trained at across the country there has always been at least one individual that is close to the same weight class and skill level. These training partners are who I spar with more often as the fight date approaches because not only does it push cardio but it normally tests all aspects of my game. This is where I go hard because my training partner expects it and vice-versa, yet, obviously not so hard as to injure my partner.

Then you have the bigs guys. I fight at 135 lbs so almost everyone is bigger. However, against the bigger guys whose skill set is still developing the above still applies but I will have to use a lot more energy, obviously, due to the weight difference. Against larger opponents with more experience, it's survival mode. Work to the best of your ability. Generally the bigger, more experienced training partners are looking to work technique against smaller opponents.

Bottom line, I respect my training partners and roll with as many as possible. Hopefully, something is learned by both on each roll!!

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Yunker View Post
    This usually leads to a reputation in the gym, and no one wants to roll with you anymore. You become that guy. Not everyone want's to roll to the death every time. I try to mix it up and not fight to the death every roll. I think of my jiu jitsu as a lifetime effort and pick my battles. Live to fight another day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Halstead View Post
    Simply put, don't break your toys. If you go hard all the time either you or your teammates will get hurt. This is a marathon not a sprint. Training is all about balance, you will know this when people start to avoid you or try to hurt you. We have a rule of thumb at 10pcm hit as hard as you want to get hit.
    Werd.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Quote Originally Posted by jaywatkins67 View Post
    A lot of it depends on the particular training partner. If its a training partner that I know my skill level is much higher I will generally focus on executing newly learned techniques by the book whether it be a submission, sweep or escape. This allows me to become more proficient while the less experienced indiviual also gets a variety of reps in because I'm not trying to destroy him.

At the different gyms I have trained at across the country there has always been at least one individual that is close to the same weight class and skill level. These training partners are who I spar with more often as the fight date approaches because not only does it push cardio but it normally tests all aspects of my game. This is where I go hard because my training partner expects it and vice-versa, yet, obviously not so hard as to injure my partner.

Then you have the bigs guys. I fight at 135 lbs so almost everyone is bigger. However, against the bigger guys whose skill set is still developing the above still applies but I will have to use a lot more energy, obviously, due to the weight difference. Against larger opponents with more experience, it's survival mode. Work to the best of your ability. Generally the bigger, more experienced training partners are looking to work technique against smaller opponents.

Bottom line, I respect my training partners and roll with as many as possible. Hopefully, something is learned by both on each roll!!
    Agreed. This sounds about right.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    10th Planet Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauri Karppinen View Post
    If you are refering to training and rolling at your gym with your friends, IMHO you should not be thinking about "winning" or losing. Winner in every roll is the one who learns the most..
    This... there is no winning and losing in training, it's just learning... there is a massive difference between training hard and training like its a real fight.

if you are not willing to try no techniques and positions when rolling in class, how will you progress? technique is far more important than the ability to go hard... i really hope some of these posts help?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123