Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    It would be funnier if he was in a rocking chair.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Hey guys i found out some of the secret knowledge that you can only get wit the gi,

Array

School
    AFS Academy/10th Planet Richmond, Richmond, Ky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    Hey guys i found out some of the secret knowledge that you can only get wit the gi,

"So I've got something solid and long now to push through..."

Alrighty then!!

Array

School
    10p CM/BP/OR/LV
    Belts are symbols that represent your dedication, aptitude and sacrifice. Who is to say that we cant or shouldn't use a Belt system?

This traditionalist mentality will only hold people back. He probably discredits a lot of non traditional techniques too. (berimbolo and de la riva).

He needs to relax, evolve his thinking and be confident in what he is trying to do.

I sure am happy that he thought that using a safety pin to pull your draw string through warranted a video. When I was seven and pulled out the string from my hoodie I used a pen because it had a longer stroke and took less time.

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by scottross View Post
    According to Brian Jones, in addition to skill on the mat, jiu-jitsu involves: terminology (Mission Control, Zombie to New York, Clear the Neck to Chill Dog; seems like we've got terminology covered), lineage (Carlos Gracie/Jean Jacques Machado, Eddie Bravo...lineage, check), that promotional thing (???), and philosophy (choking people out is a good thing/ getting choked out is a bad thing; check).

I guess the only question is, what is "that promotional thing?" Is it a buy two private lessons, get a third free promotion? Is it a for a limited time only, sign a one-year contract and receive a free T-shirt promotion? Is it posting dogmatic videos about antiquated modes of training in hopes that people who already agree with you view you as a soldier in the conservative movement?

Or is "that promotional thing" a reference to the practice of receiving a belt promotion from someone who holds a high enough belt to award that promotion. In that case, see lineage. Checkmate.
    That is a BJJ lineage. When he says you don't have a belt in no gi, I agree, you have a BJJ belt rank. Even if you don't wear a gi or belt. The way I see it is the 10th planet system is just another BJJ curriculum. It has different requirements for rank than other BJJ gyms. But guess what? So do all the other BJJ gyms. The curriculum requirements for Roy Dean blue belt are different than the blue belt requirements from the Gracie Academy, which are different from the requirements at Gracie Barra, which are different from the requirements of MABJJ, which are different from the requirements at Renzo's school, which are different from the requirements at Rickson's school. It's all BJJ, and if your lineage is legit (which Eddie's and by extension, all 10th Planet ranks are), then who cares. At that point it boils down to BJJ politics, which, to my knowledge, are mostly stupid.

Also, there are different belts for different people. You got competitors whose rank, ideally should reflect their performance in tournaments. You've also got people who don't compete, who's ranks (in my mind) should ideally reflect their general knowledge, technical ability, and experience, rather than wins and losses.

He's also right about self promotions, but then, none of us here are doing that (I hope). Unless by self promotion you mean marketing, but then, all the major gyms do that too *cough* Rener *cough*...

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    Im always confused at that traditional gi guys say shit like this and then forget that Helio created a sport and essentialy gave himself a redbelt in it...

There is an "mma" instructor in my city who has no grappling belts but awards belts to mma fighters based on his curriculum of the mma system he created, he gave himself a blackbelt in his own system so that he can wear one.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    This guy should be wearing a gi in this video.
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Portland Moon Head/Instructor
    My youtube page http://www.youtube.com/user/monzon421
    Use the discount code DEADORCHARD at Phalanxfc.com to get %15 off any purchase.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    I just have to say that not everybody that trains in Da Gi feels this way. I have mad respect for no gi practitioners and 10th planet, and I train mostly Gi. My instructors are very open minded and if we ask about no gi situations he will elaborate on how to control someone without Da Gi. We also have No Gi twice a week and we still rock our belts.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    Im always confused at that traditional gi guys say shit like this and then forget that Helio created a sport and essentialy gave himself a redbelt in it...

There is an "mma" instructor in my city who has no grappling belts but awards belts to mma fighters based on his curriculum of the mma system he created, he gave himself a blackbelt in his own system so that he can wear one.
    Greg Jackson did the same shit.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wylie View Post
    Greg Jackson did the same shit.
    at one point a guy did this for every single system that uses belts, competition makes the claim legit.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast