Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Armbar defense

Armbar defense

I notice mts is more about attacking than defending.

Guys what's your favorite way out of armbar from bottom of spider web?

Mts36 dead zones has a couple of escapes when they don't hold the leg - turn in or corkscrew out - but if they do hold the leg what's your go-to move?

I've had success in a comp hooking my outside leg over their head - especially if they lean back towards your legs -, but can't make it totally reliable. Usually a bigger guy will muscle my arm out before I get a chance to escape.

Array

School
    Warrior Way (Caique)
    Being on the bottom of an armbar is a bad spot, not much you can do. You have to time it when they go to extend your arm you make a bicep (like your flexing, which would curls your hand towards your head and on their top of their leg.) This way you can spin out from under. There isn't much you can do unless they do something technically wrong from the top of an armbar. If your already in spiderweb try to spin out before they control your leg or extend your arm and gain too much leverage.

Nothing is a "go-to" move in this position though. Spinning out is a desperation move in my opinion because it require the guy not to control your arm well and if they have a good deep hook it could be difficult.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    The reason mastering the system doesn’t emphasize learning how to escape dead zones… is because they are dead zones. By definition, there is no high percentage way out. It’s all about prevention and correct posture to begin with, which is covered. Once you end up in a “dead zone”, usually the only way out is either an incompleteness in the submission/position (something they should have but don’t have yet) or a mistake they are making. You will have to adapt accordingly to that once you are there if you’re caught. The “dead zone drills” help with developing that sensitivity also (while your partner gets practice on making the dead zone inescapable).

Array

School
    N/A
    Beautiful answer Brian

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    Get the leg around you neck and chest under your head, then see if you get you hands together and sit up and stack. Wiggle around a little like a worm trying not to get put on a fish hook..lol tap is a good idea too .

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Although preventing is always the best policy as Brian suggested. But sometimes you do get into that bad position. Here is what we been working on. Although not the same as being in spiderweb, i'm sure you might be able to use this in some way. We been working this and it work really well.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I like Debes' answer, but being a whitey, I get more than enough reps for submission defense.

What I usually do is clasp my hands together and try to push the leg that's over my face over my head by bringing my arms over my head and once my head is loose I'll roll up to my knees. Sometimes I'm able to keep my elbows wide enough to keep their legs open and I pop right into closed guard. Other times I end up stacking and I use the normal stack and pull method.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Although preventing is always the best policy as Brian suggested. But sometimes you do get into that bad position. Here is what we been working on. Although not the same as being in spiderweb, i'm sure you might be able to use this in some way. We been working this and it work really well.
    I really like this and I use it a lot. When someone does this to me, though, I take their back pretty easily. You're putting their first hook in for them and they pretty much have the seatbelt already. Out of the pot, and in to the fire.

I have a couple of little tricks I use when I'm stuck in Spiderweb, but at that point it's pretty much all survival and waiting for the other guy to get overzealous and make an error. That's the point of the Dead Zones.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    I really like this and I use it a lot. When someone does this to me, though, I take their back pretty easily. You're putting their first hook in for them and they pretty much have the seatbelt already. Out of the pot, and in to the fire.

I have a couple of little tricks I use when I'm stuck in Spiderweb, but at that point it's pretty much all survival and waiting for the other guy to get overzealous and make an error. That's the point of the Dead Zones.
    Taking the back from there =

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast