Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Once brake the guard, I find this technique to be very successful and it reinforces what Matt Wallace is saying about pressure. Once Cora break guard, she always get caught in Z guard. This one is very successful to pass Z guard. Can be use with or without Gi just change your gi grip to hooks.

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wallace View Post
    Man, that was a tough roll. Good job overall! Don't feel too bad- that was not a standard hip toss, dude! Only advice I can give on Z guard is that you can often Fishnet and disrupt him that way. If you can gain a little traction with the downward pressure you can often sprawl, aiming your chest for his topside knee to make his legs sandwich down and then tiptoe around towards the back. Not an "everytime" solution but there's some play in there.

As far as passing advice, I'd say you are doing the hard work easy and the easy work hard ;-) You're getting the pass just not keeping control. Passing is not only moving from position to position but from one pressure to another. Once you pass you have to look to apply physical pressure to hold the position. That's job #1 after clearing. THEN you can transition again. But the longer you hang out in limbo and don't pin the guy (by usually using the floor) the higher his chances of countering you are. For instance, in that hip toss scenario I'm willing to bet the reason why he was successful wasn't position but because you had clinching pressure which is based off both centers of gravity being in the air instead of driving pressure which would have drove his waist towards the ground. I hope this makes sense!

Kudos to you for putting it all on the line at the big show; MAJOR cajones, bro! I'm hesitant to offer advice because I'm an eternal learner and very respectful of your hard work but if I gave you any ideas then it was worth the possible flame suit B-)
    Thanks for the insight!

You made some key points about changing pressures rather than changing positions.
    But what I'll try to apply most in my next training session is the point you made about clinching pressure versus pinning pressure.

When I was tossed from top side control, it was apparent that I was clinching rather than pinning.
    I'm hoping it was just a personal mistake and not that I was in the wrong position to be pinning.

I'll be competing again in just over 2 weeks time.
    I'm sure if I can figure this out, it will positively effect my next competition.

Thanks again, Matt.

Array

School
    Textbook Jiu-Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    Once brake the guard, I find this technique to be very successful and it reinforces what Matt Wallace is saying about pressure. Once Cora break guard, she always get caught in Z guard. This one is very successful to pass Z guard. Can be use with or without Gi just change your gi grip to hooks.
    I like the details found in this video with Rafa. Though I'm trying to decide what is the best use of your left arm?
    Rafa states that without the collar grip your control is significantly diminished.
    Even with that said, I am positive this pass is still highly effective NoGi.

What are you doing with your left arm during this technique?

Array

School
    Gig Harbor Kickboxing & MMA
    Quote Originally Posted by Cora Sek View Post
    James: great match bro. Since we been working on our guard break and passing a lot these days, just want to share what has been working for us. By all mean, just take it if its will work for you. I'm just sharing.
    Awesome pass!

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Bookmarking

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneJitsu View Post
    Awesome pass!
    once you pass with this... then you can do something like this. Its been working for Cora.

Array

School
    Sharing all my passing vid from my collection. This one is similar to the butt compressor pass. Very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by James O'Brien II View Post
    I like the details found in this video with Rafa. Though I'm trying to decide what is the best use of your left arm?
    Rafa states that without the collar grip your control is significantly diminished.
    Even with that said, I am positive this pass is still highly effective NoGi.

What are you doing with your left arm during this technique?
    I use this pass a lot, in no gi Rafa controls the wrist, works great

In No Gi Rafa also shows a leg drag from this position after freeing your leg

Array

School
    this is great also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast