Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Shayne Simpson MMA
    Sounds like you're getting some good advice already, so I'll just say WELCOME!

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Whatever you do, don't do rubber guard. It's for chumps, full guard is better.

Array

School
    House - future 10th Planet Melbourne
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    warm ups all the way. and according to eddie. triangles are a good start its a pretty debated thing i think but imo learn a few techniques really well. get a submission and make it your own until you kill everyone with it. having that base where you have something to fall back on if all else fails, really helps keep ur confidence up and i think allows you to advance quicker. though training with frank, youll have ur hands full.

theres also josh and the people out at sunshine if thats closer to you. also top quality training there.

welcome to the forum man.
    yeah I looked into both gyms' location, and franks moon is WAAAYY closer to me so that's where i'll end up training most likely.
    the first top game thing I want to learn is the spider-web because it has a lot of transitions to it, most importantly from the guard, and its easy to arm crush and douchebag people. I do like the rear naked choke but unless im rolling with a friend who doesn't know anything at all, its difficult to get anyone's back, but normally the armbar/spider web is right there.
    but firstly I want to at least develop a little bit of bottom game because if im rolling with a friend I know has studied 10p with me, is that I will be to cautious of sweeps and emding up on the bottom, but if im confident with my bottom game, then I have no fear so to speak when im on top.
    thanks for the help buddy, appreciate it

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Lockdown halfguard game is my suggestion, for sure. That's where Eddie started getting heavily offensive and that's where probably 65% of my sweeps are from. The guys that I've been receiving my instruction from (shout out to the Woolsey's Ft Lauderdale Hotbox) are also big on lockdown. My thought, and let me just emphasize that I'm only about 10 months into this deal, is that if you get someone, one or two weight classes bigger than you through people your size and smaller, into your half guard (especially if they're unfamiliar with lockdown defense) they're going to end up swept............ Also, I highly suggest you seek face-to-face instruction from a legit 10th Planet Hotbox or Moon. There's just somethings you may have questions about or that you're doing wrong that only someone knowledgeable about this stuff can help you correct. My game has really taken off since finding some 10th Planet guys.
    ok cool thanks, I have a friend who (by ufc weight classes) is 2 weight classes above, flyweight vs lightweight, but normally I get smashed becuas ehis that much bigger than me and has his weight to use as control. if im drilling stuff its good though because its sort of an over compensation, like if I were breaking him down for RG, I would have to develop my squeeze to break his posture a lot further compared to if I was breaking someone down my own weight, so things like that can be useful.
    10th planet Melbourne is where I will train in the future, frank and the students their do well in comp's, and 10p is a great system, and his gym is closer to me than josh's so franks' gym is where i'll train.
    thanks for the advice Ross

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    No offense: but hear me out. Not all training is positive. Rolling with your buddies outside a school (with no formal training) can build bad habits. Right now very early in your career is a super important time. Your developing your fundamentals developing instincts , learning basics of base balance mat awareness. no offense to your buddies but rolling with them will probably hold you back more than help you progress. really should either just rep and drill at home, or do nothing at all. Rolling with people with no instruction will give false feedback.. You can end up develop your go-to submissions and go-to escapes, just to go to class and realize those aren't even real moves that really work. I'm only telling you this because I've seen it happen too many times.

Array

School
    Counter Violence LLC
    1. Get MTS
    2. Don't take big bites. If you and your buddies are serious pick a move or two and do them for a couple weeks. After you've moved on, revisit them and/or add them to your warmups.
    3. If you're going to get on youtube, look up BASIC techniques.
    4. If you're looking to build a good BJJ base from home I'd also recommend getting the Gracie Combatives dvds or videos or find someone who has them. They'll do you some good since you're starting from scratch.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    ^great advice from these two^

i was doing some "research" and it seems that schools in Australia dont have wrestling programs? Fuckin bummer!

Array

School
    yeah unfortuantley wrestling is NOT big here at all.
    well unitl I can go into a school and train with an official 10p coach, I just want to develop basic basics of shit. insteadof playing major rubber guard, i'd just learn/develop the skill of breaking their posture and holding it down, and not learning how to get to jiu claw and double bag and all the other advanced RG stuff.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    yeah man, the thing is that true basics IMO are more like breath control, balance, physical conditioning, and a special type of spatial and body awareness that's not really the same as what you develop from striking.

physical conditioning is maybe a weird one but I just mean your whole body goes trough a toughening that is specific to grappling. Neck gets thicker, (ears too) entire rib cage/diaphragm gets stronger ect.

You're going to want to have hip flexibility for rubber guard.
    Started with the half guard stuff and that was nice for me.
    Graice combative are a good idea like Dylan Ehrnreiter said, basic, trad BJJ with self defense slant.

Im guessing you dont have judo around either? Maybe you're already a beast but if you lift weights at your age you can change your body forever and be more resistant to injures. Plus its doesnt hurt with the ladies.

Array

School
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by joshfromaus View Post
    as title reads....
    so should I start with lockdown, rubber guard, twister, spider web, etc etc?
    thanks, josh
    ps. flexibility is ok, I can get to mission control, but not flexible enough to use the gogo plata without pain in my thigh
    1)Stretch, stretch, stretch, and then stretch some more

2)master the warm-ups until they are muscle memory. i've included the free new york drill in our daily warm ups and Eddie loved it. Shrimping drills are also included!!

3)warmups will be the base of your foundation. in addition, i would research the rubber guard basic path and and master it until it is muscle memory. having all of these techniques committed to muscle memory is an excellent foundation from which you can continue to build on.

4)go to class!! this is part of your practical application time. ensure you physically take notes and write down as much as the technique as possible. if you are new, it can be overwhelming and writing down the techniques will help you remember the details.

5)Drill, drill, drill, and then drill some more. Yeah, it can get boring, but if it does, have your training partner pick up the resistance gradually. This is where you master the technique, identify any shortcomings on how you are executing the technique, and commit it to muscle memory.

6)Roll!! Roll as often as possible and with as many opponents as possible. Everybody has their own style and getting different looks will only make you better. Don't get frustrated by getting tapped. That's how you learn!

7)Compete as often as possible. This is your test. If you bring home the gold, great! If not, learn from it. Either way, study video of your competition and of your team mates and have an "after action review". There is always room for improvement. Learn from both the positive things that were executed and the negative.

Hope this helps. Just so happens, Eddie was in town for a seminar this last weekend and I went down this list with him of how I have been operating our gym and he loved it. Additionally, watch MTS. It's only $5 US a month with tons of instructional video. Can't beat it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast