Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    When guys try to Americana from inside the lockdown, I prefer to whip down. That relieves the pressure of the Americana and opens up the 5-0 series of options.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Hey BMAC, I never thought of whipping down if they have head and arm control. Is it easy to whip down from there? Seems like I just go straight Super stomp anytime someone has head and arm.

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bergdorf View Post
    Hey Luis, I've had exactly the same problems the last few weeks and here is what has worked for me fwiw-

problem #1: the Godfather to full guard recovery, but in any event when Jaws won't happen I immediately overhook the opponent's underhook and pimp arm the hip on the other side, this at least relieves the pressure if they are smashing their shoulder into my jaw. Also prevents an Americana or Ezekiel attempt bc at least my arms aren't in the wrong place.

problem #2: the lockdown when applied correctly hurts, no two ways about it, which either makes the opponent compliant or angry. I've had a couple angry guys crank the Americana or straight armlock as I squeeze the lockdown harder from off my back; no good. The lockdown is no defense to arms being in the wrong place or being flattened. If I find myself losing and get into an americana battle I will abandon the lockdown and Heisman the opponent's armpit to escape the submission attempt.

problem #3: In the gi especially I like to Whip Down and head into the 5 0 series since there is a sleeve there to grab for the 5 0 sweep, which makes it easier. I actually find guys in the gi are less savvy to what is happening in lockdown… in fairness my gi partners do not typically cross train in no-gi.
    thank you sir

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Joachim Hoff View Post
    I try to work different options, so I don't care if I have the underhooks or not.
    If they have over under I go to stomp. If I have double unders I whip, and if I can't whip them I go for prison guard, just as a way to practice three different broad paths with variations. (I'm not good at this mind you, I'm just trying to learn) :}

Earlier I tried to get double unders, that was my go to. So jaws of life, but if it doesn't work I just whip down!
    Sometimes I gamble, so I let go of the lockdown and bridge hard..! I haven't expirienced anyone yet that didn't post nd give me the underhook. The whip down is golden! Underhooks every day! Diclaimer: The guys I rolled with were medium level, its' still instincual tho.
    Word up!

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    I had a class mate that would crush me when I had my lockdown in. Jaws of life would never work, he's just too strong. I then started doing the stomp sequences, BUT if you wanna keep working on the lockdown, the only thing that worked on my classmate was before I'd pull half guard and lockdown, I'd be more conscious of my arm placement. For example, I'd make sure my left arm was in position to get the underhook before establishing lockdown. If it wasn't in position, I'd bail and so something else. Like master eddie says, lockdown won't always work so you just need to work on alternatives.
    True. I've also been working my knee shield and my arm drag. Thanks for the tips.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    1) Superstomp is my favorite from here. Cory used to crush the shit out of my face even if I had double under he would still get a cross face going. At first because I could only look that way I tried reverse lockdown and peeling the hands off but that shit didnt work because he would spin for twister pass... I personally have the most success in that situation by using super stomp to butterfly double unders and then switch to closed guard.

Array

School
    BETA Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    When guys try to Americana from inside the lockdown, I prefer to whip down. That relieves the pressure of the Americana and opens up the 5-0 series of options.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    what move can I do from the whip down? I saw the mts episode where eddie goes over it but since I'm just a blue belt, i can't do heel hooks. I have not drilled it yet but it looks like there is a sweep there similar to the electric chair. should i look up the 5-0 series? or is there a sweep after you get your head out and push them away?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123