Thread: Stand Up Game

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque

Stand Up Game

So I have recently been drilling a ton of stand up, but I have trouble really getting my standup to be a weapon in my arsenal, I usually get taken down, or I just pull guard. Do you think there is an advantage (other than the two points) to being more aggressive on the feet? Or is pulling guard just as viable as a double leg?

I think take downs are a huge hole in my game, and I feel like having a good guard is useless if people decide not to engage you (Schaub).

How do you all initiate the battle?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Depending on the positioning I have my few go-to's from each position, and like on the ground, I play the whizzer alot.

The big misconception with takedowns/standup grappling is its more simple than jiujitsu. less complex. Stand up grappling is actually equally detailed and complex as ground grappling. ("Leglocks" have suffered the same fate in the jiujitsu community). As much as you need that 3rd option of a guard pull, it's ill advised to not try and work your standing grappling game. Even if you prefer pulling, having a competitive stand-up game can make it easier to pull. Just like anything, the best advice I can give you without seeing anything is more and more mat time and reps. Start standing as often as you can (ok this with your coach!) and keep repping quality standup techniques. My standup game is primarily clinch stuff, and I can tell you it's hard to find good nogi clinch takedowns and techniques.. Zogs got alot of good info on clinch takedowns...I assume he will chime in on this as he is not only an ex sambo player/champion but also an accomplished judoka, knows more takedowns and variations than most