Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    I personally think hendricks won. But hearing Gsp say "i left my soul in there" at the end and he got all choked up made me sad. I think he wants to retire, because he know he got a lucky judge decision, and I believe he knows he cant beat Big Rig the second time.

Array

School
    10th pl.-Ronin
    I've watched too much Pride.. My eyes and ears are still bleeding, and I don't feel like debating the verdict. I'm too sad. :'( The system is flawed... Flawed! *Runs away crying*

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Fights need to be subjective, no one is the same. Fight meteric will never be able to tell you someones ability to take damage, heart, control of the range, sweeps, passes, footwork, angles, aggression (doesn't always mean with strikes), etc. There will always be components of a fight a pure stat will not be able to measure, at least for now.
    Even metrics are subjective. Thats why hendricks won by metrics, "power shots" are weight more heavily. How you determine the amount of power in a strike is extremely subjective, they also look at damage like cuts from elbows and weight that for all the following rounds based on the assumption that the damage will affect the fighters through out the fight.

I think the goal should be to eliminate subjectivity as much as possible but it will always be a factor given the nature of our reality.

I would give ability to take damage, heart, control of the range, sweeps, passes, footwork, angles, aggression all to GSP but im not sure that means he should have won, I just dont know.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/ru...regulations#14

Power punches actually are not weighed more.

Effective striking is judged by determining the total number of legal strikes landed by a contestant.

So honestly, after a brief read through the judging regs, I can see how 2 judges scored for GSP. GSP landed more. From my recollection, there were def some rounds where he ran away with the score as far as strikes go.

As of right now, the judging is points based, not damage based. So a feather fisted fighter can out point you for 3 rounds, almost get KO'd in two rounds, and still win. This isn't pride. C'est la vie.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/ru...regulations#14

Power punches actually are not weighed more.
    They are in fight metrics, you are citing ufc criteria for judging, im talking fight metrics like from the site I posted a link to above.
    GO SHARKS!

"A conspiracy theorist is a person who tacitly admits that they have insufficient data to prove their points. A conspiracy theory is a battle cry of a person with insufficient data." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

If this shit turns out to be true, I will get a tattoo of a crop duster spelling out the phrase, "Eddie was right!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by George Katechis View Post
    I personally think hendricks won. But hearing Gsp say "i left my soul in there" at the end and he got all choked up made me sad. I think he wants to retire, because he know he got a lucky judge decision, and I believe he knows he cant beat Big Rig the second time.
    Suprising you think that given that it was planned gsp was going to announce somthing and he obviosly has some kind of personal shit going on.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Hendricks was the only one who looked comfortable and out of danger.
    If I went outside right now and pointed my mini14 at a bulls head he would look comfortable and not feel endangered, all that means is that hes stupid.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    They are in fight metrics, you are citing ufc criteria for judging, im talking fight metrics like from the site I posted a link to above.
    Are fight metrics used in judging? Cuz even though that link is from the UFC, I've located the same info in regard to judging.

If I went outside right now and pointed my mini14 at a bulls head he would look comfortable and not feel endangered, all that means is that hes stupid.
    Are you saying Hendricks looked comfortable because he was stupid? I felt like Hendricks looked comfortable because he felt like he was in control and he was winning. Honestly, I think Hendricks looked comfortable because he didn't feel any danger, not cuz he's dumb. He took clean shots from GSP and wasn't phased. He stuffed some TD's. Doesn't seem dumb to me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Your example doesn't quite fit. Hendricks is far from stupid.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    fight metric are in a way used in judging but UFC doesn't use them or tabulate them the same way that the website i linked does. For one the judges have to interpret the metrics after each round vs watching the fight in slow mo to analyze for data. I read over the explanation on how fightmetric.com determines their TPR (ufc doesnt even use this) quickly but there seems to be a lot of diff between the two.

Yes i do think that relying on your chin as opposed to using good footwork and head movement is stupid regardless of whether or not you have the chin to take it or the opnt has weak strikes, one day they will add up. I dont think he looked comfortable, I think he looked slack-jawed and wide-eyed but unafraid, I dont think GSP looked uncomfortable in the stand up either. Turns out he was not in danger but that can change in a second so why fight like you opnt presents no danger? Thats dumb.

They both had the same ratio of take down attempts stuffed 50% GSP had 3 successful out of 6 and Hendrix 2 out of 4.

This was not GSP at his best, hes fucked mentally for some reason and i feel that the increased muay thai hurt his stand-up (not that im against muay thia but its not for everyone game especially if you replace things with it instead of adding it to your arsenal) because he used less circling which would have been important with hendrix and he had poor head movement opting instead to cover up and never used any of the kicks i was hoping to see.

My point was that feeling comfortable is not an indication of anything important, especially if you consider a relaxed use of good stand-up skills/practices an indication of being comfortable.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast