Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I don't know why everyone is saying GSP was off because of something mental outside the fight, he wasn't strong because Johny laid some power on him.

If anything outside the fight had any influence, it would be that this was his first fight where they did testing during the camp.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I don't know why everyone is saying GSP was off because of something mental outside the fight, he wasn't strong because Johny laid some power on him.

If anything outside the fight had any influence, it would be that this was his first fight where they did testing during the camp.
    really, you dont know why? If you dont know already then i doubt it could be explained to you.

He didn't look at bit different physically and no one with any credibility has suggested he abuses chemicals to cheat.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    fight metric are in a way used in judging but UFC doesn't use them or tabulate them the same way that the website i linked does. For one the judges have to interpret the metrics after each round vs watching the fight in slow mo to analyze for data. I read over the explanation on how fightmetric.com determines their TPR (ufc doesnt even use this) quickly but there seems to be a lot of diff between the two.

Yes i do think that relying on your chin as opposed to using good footwork and head movement is stupid regardless of whether or not you have the chin to take it or the opnt has weak strikes, one day they will add up. I dont think he looked comfortable, I think he looked slack-jawed and wide-eyed but unafraid, I dont think GSP looked uncomfortable in the stand up either. Turns out he was not in danger but that can change in a second so why fight like you opnt presents no danger? Thats dumb.

They both had the same ratio of take down attempts stuffed 50% GSP had 3 successful out of 6 and Hendrix 2 out of 4.

This was not GSP at his best, hes fucked mentally for some reason and i feel that the increased muay thai hurt his stand-up (not that im against muay thia but its not for everyone game especially if you replace things with it instead of adding it to your arsenal) because he used less circling which would have been important with hendrix and he had poor head movement opting instead to cover up and never used any of the kicks i was hoping to see.

My point was that feeling comfortable is not an indication of anything important, especially if you consider a relaxed use of good stand-up skills/practices an indication of being comfortable.
    I'm guessing you gave the fight to GSP?

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Aaron. When you take someones best shot, and it doesn't phase you, that gives you confidence, it doesn't make you stupid. Not so much relying on your chin as it is giving you the confidence to be less conservative and open up. A jab or straight at 60% compared to a gun of any caliber.. really?

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Aaron. When you take someones best shot, and it doesn't phase you, that gives you confidence, it doesn't make you stupid. Not so much relying on your chin as it is giving you the confidence to be less conservative and open up. A jab or straight at 60% compared to a gun of any caliber.. really?
    lol, apparently you are not familiar with metaphor. Why did you pick punch vs gun as opposed to human vs cow? (rhetorical)

Confidence should not = disregard for potential of your opnt.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I'm guessing you gave the fight to GSP?
    like i implied in my earlier post, Im glad I didn't have to judge the fight.
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 11-18-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: sounded dickish

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    If I went outside right now and pointed my mini14 at a bulls head he would look comfortable and not feel endangered, all that means is that hes stupid.
    Because you brought a gun into the equation. I didn't get it because it was a shitty metaphor. A cow isn't stupid, its a cow. A gun is a killing machine. A weak punch is what it is.
    I also think the fight outcome is waaay overhyped. Just like Jones/Gustafsson. Any time you come even close in a decision on a dominant champ, this will insue.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Because you brought a gun into the equation. I didn't get it because it was a shitty metaphor. A cow isn't stupid, its a cow. A gun is a killing machine. A weak punch is what it is.
    I also think the fight outcome is waaay overhyped. Just like Jones/Gustafsson. Any time you come even close in a decision on a dominant champ, this will insue.
    Hello?! I also brought the cow into the equation so my question still stands.
    Having grown up around cattle i assure you that they are stupid compared to other animals of their type, not that it is necessary for cattle to be stupid other than to the point that they cannot recognize certain dangers for the metaphor to work. It is an excellent metaphor illustrating that confidence can often arise simply from the inability to perceive danger. As in most metaphors the point is exaggerated through the choice of parallel aspects.

honestly is was more like a simile but not phrased in the classic way with a comparative term such as "like" or "as", in this context you might consider it an analogy. In any case the potential destructive force of the gun need not be equal in scale to a punch for the expression to work, in fact normally one purposely choose to exaggerate theses aspect in order to make the point more clear.
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 11-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Array

School
    Fair enough. You are articulate I'll give ya that. I am missing your point though. I know you spar yes? Quick question. Ever had a fight, mma, boxing, or kickboxing?

I have taken a guys best Sunday punch before. He threw it like he was trying to hit the other side of the pond with a rock. It landed flush. I didn't wanna take another one, but I gained confidence. I was fine. Ended up taking several more and gained confidence with every one. Not bragging, just trying to convey. Make sense? Have you ever experienced this?

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    for the record id always prefer to be right than articulate.

Of course we all gain confidence when we see that our opnts aren't throwing ko blows but my point (which i think i made clear above) is that that confidence should not translate to doing things like dropping your hands, not moving your feet or generally employing less skill in the defensive areas of the fight than you would otherwise. Even if you survive the blows and win they maybe making you more likely to get ko'ed in the future.

You seems to think that i dont understand the thinking, i simply dont agree with it.

I haven't had sanctioned amateur mma fights, ive had matches in TKD and won a kickboxing tournament with 3 matches and have had "sparing" sessions in boxing which were hate fueled and nasty and had to get stopped by other people but thats it. My coach wont set me up a fight unless i can do a proper camp and i can only do that during summer break but that is also when i make my money working in the hills. Hope to fight after this degree in a bit over a year.

My point is that the perception of confidence in a fighter (which may come from nothing more than a couple taunts, sometime actually inspired by lack of confidence) is not an indication of anything valuable as far as judging a fight. In fact confidence can arise from ignorance, stupidity or simply chemicals(emotions).
    Last edited by Aaron Gustaveson; 11-18-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast