Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Don't you dare leave. I bombed this thread with you. Let's see it through.

You are consistent man. We like you. You were even mentioned to me in positive light by a high ranking mod and we both agreed. I want you to stay around because I can see your fight and jj iq rising. I can also see lack of actual experience. Nuttin wrong with that and doesn't make me automatically right. We grow together.

Louis posted this to insight discussion and we obliged. All well.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Everybody wants to be liked, thats cool. Almost makes me want to use one of those blushing smiley faces. It is a little weird if you think about it though that anyone would be talking about me. When I came here it was because I saw 10th planet in UFC. I paid the 4.99 and started to realize that this is where innovation is happening in grappling, not only in terms of bringing techniques from a variety of grappling disciplines and integrating them into the system but also evolving new techniques specifically geared towards mma.

My plan was to learn amap and use the forum as need to ask questions. When I started seeing that a lot of discussions go down here that have nothing to do with jiujitsu and many of the regulars are hilarious, I couldn't help but jump in. That's all great, my problem is that Im realizing that all the times ive spent chatting like a teenage girl, I could have been improving flexibility of lifting kettelbells or something. So I do think its a good idea for me to be realistic about how much free time I have and how I should be spending it to accomplish my goals. Im not leaving the forum or anything and i dont regret one bit getting to know people here in on on-line way.

Now on the topic I do admit of course that im not a striking expert, I got five years in TKD and a purple, I have a few hundred hours of IKF style kickboxing in, and some other striking stuff but not really worth mentioning, I have been in more street fights than most people and won all but 2 or 3. So yeah thats pretty modest but I have been a fan of fighting sports since 1999 and seen a hell of a lot of fights since that time. Oh yeah and of course now I train in shotokan karate, muay thai and boxing but that's hardly more than a year so far. (less for shotokan)

So I think the crux of this discussion imo is, do you have to sacrifice good defensive practices in order to increase the frequency and intensity of your strikes? Now I know we have been talking about the perception of confidence and how a fighter changes their striking technique in response to finding that they can absorb what they believe is their opnts hardest strikes. IMO as a rookie these two topics and inseparable.

Let me admit that most often in UFC when a fighter "opens up" (in terms of striking volume/intensity) they also "open up" defensively by dropping their hand and throwing giant looping hooks. I think this is because the majority of fighters in the UFC are tremendous athletes and able/willing to make large weight cuts but are not highly skilled strikers. Conversely when we see a fighter with a good striking pedigree "open up" it is an entirely different thing. The frequency and power of strikes increases but with combinations that are programmed into muscle memory and dont sacrifices defense in the dramatic way, they also dont completely abandon footwork and head movement while pursuing their opnt and leave themselves open to counter strikes that often enough end the fight.

There are two point that I would like to concede here, one is that by nature when your throw a strike you are less able to defend while that strike is extended open to potential counter strikes. The other is that when a fighter has their opnt obviously hurt I think it is perfectly acceptable to temporally abandon good defense technique while closing the distance they are creating but once your there you better realize that many fighters over the years have rushed in on a hurt opnt with shitty technique and been KO'ed.

Ok, pretty sure thats my longest post ever and now I gotta try to be more of a lurker while I get my diet and training back inline and get through my finals(this semester has really fucked me)

Youre a cool mofo bobby rivers.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    the missing "s"es "and" and using "of" instead of "or" and using "your" instead of "you're" is killing me. *shrug* < Im using this gay shit now to better communicate.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345