Array

School
    10th Planet HQ Downtown LA

My first tournament...

Had my first tournament this weekend at Grappler's Quest Las Vegas. Only got one match and here it is. Lost on points.

Let me know what you think...

Realized after my match I broke a toe just to top it off (not on video)

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Congrats for getting out there and challenging yourself.

Array

School
    Gracie KY
    You looked good dude! Fun match to watch. What was your biggest takeaway from the experience?

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bergdorf View Post
    You looked good dude! Fun match to watch. What was your biggest takeaway from the experience?
    Thanks. Biggest take away was point system sucks goat penis. Towards the last minute I got fatigued unusually fast. You can tell as I just laid there with him in my guard. I do a lot of strength and cardio. Plyo, Cross Fit style, weights etc. but oh well guess I need more. I play off my back mostly and I feel I did okay in this match with that. I went for a Kimora at the end but my right foot got caught in his shirt and I kept trying to pull it out #1 in fear that I would snap my toe and #2 so I could get a good crank on his left arm and get it. Go figure I break a toe on the opposite foot somehow. Guess I need to work strength/cardio and passing a little more aggressively.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    After the whip up, you should have reconnected your double unders before transitioning to the dog fight. That way you would have controlled the sweep and avoided ending up in his half guard.

Now when your opponent was attempting to work his butterfly game, Einstein was telling you to back up. I believe what he wanted you to do was back out so you could execute a standing pass, like the M1 or a leg drag. If you stay loaded on someone's butterfly guard, you will likely be swept.

Also, Einstein was right about you leaning to far back in the guard, he could have sat up and mounted you.

When you went for the kimura, you can also use that arm for the hip bump sweep.

When you were trying to hold your opponent in mission, the problem (I think) was that you were not bending your right arm. Rubber guard is much easier when that right arm is bent in a 90 degree angle. There's no power to prevent posture otherwise.

You did an excellent job recovering guard most of the time. For your first time at bat, this was an amazing effort and all the extra work you do outside of class shows. Congrats.

Points requires a different strategy. Get some points immediately with a takedown or sweep, which you did, and then your opponent has to move in order to catch up with you. That creates opportunities for submissions.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by scottross View Post
    After the whip up, you should have reconnected your double unders before transitioning to the dog fight. That way you would have controlled the sweep and avoided ending up in his half guard.

Now when your opponent was attempting to work his butterfly game, Einstein was telling you to back up. I believe what he wanted you to do was back out so you could execute a standing pass, like the M1 or a leg drag. If you stay loaded on someone's butterfly guard, you will likely be swept.

Also, Einstein was right about you leaning to far back in the guard, he could have sat up and mounted you.

When you went for the kimura, you can also use that arm for the hip bump sweep.

When you were trying to hold your opponent in mission, the problem (I think) was that you were not bending your right arm. Rubber guard is much easier when that right arm is bent in a 90 degree angle. There's no power to prevent posture otherwise.

You did an excellent job recovering guard most of the time. For your first time at bat, this was an amazing effort and all the extra work you do outside of class shows. Congrats.

Points requires a different strategy. Get some points immediately with a takedown or sweep, which you did, and then your opponent has to move in order to catch up with you. That creates opportunities for submissions.
    Thank you for the advise Scott.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Albuquerque
    Congratulations on entering your first tourney! Good work!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Great mount escape. Good work man.

Array

School
    Gold Country Jiu Jitsu
    Really fun to watch!

One thing that tires and fatigues me out quick is when I forget to breath and hold my breath. I've been doing some yoga to help solve the problem.

-Joe