Array

School
    gracie barra/ bravo dvds

knee replacement

have to have a full knee replacement in Oct. Anyone out there playing rubber guard that has had this surgery? And if so how the replacement holding up

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Knee surgeries have come a long way. Chances are you can play rubber guard again one day...

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    A friend of mine had knee replacement surgery a few years ago. He doesn't do jiu-jitsu but he was told not to even run because the replacement wasn't strong enough. The point of the surgery was to let him walk without pain but his knee can't take the stress it once could. So ask your doctor because they don't want to back in there right after the surgery.

Array

School
    West coast fight team
    There is more to life than Rollin in the gym. I would play it safe on that.

Array

School
    Drysdale Jiu Jitsu EP
    I know someone who had one and still runs everyday. They are definitely more stiff in one leg, so you may not play rubber guard to that side as much or you may develop a game, ie half guard, to compensate for that. You're definitely not the first to have serious knee injuries in sports. Maybe google knee replacement with other similar sports like judo, wrestling etc. see what you come up with

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I've had 4 surgeries on my right knee. There are certain things I can't do too well, but they're mostly weight bearing things like squats or taking a wrestling shot on that side.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    gracie barra/ bravo dvds
    thanx for the great insight Jesse. I have to accept the fact that I'm 42 an not 22...

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    Quote Originally Posted by herman roberts View Post
    thanx for the great insight Jesse. I have to accept the fact that I'm 42 an not 22...
    Just take it slow and easy my man. If you can't play rg no biggie there is so much to learn. Play JJ like you are 42 & not goin to the worlds. Who knows man, with this knee replacement you may find new paths that you like even more. I'm 36 and recently had medial meniscus repairs on both knees. With that I doubt that I will ever be able to play rg or lockdown again. I will have to find new/different ways. LD was my goto, I totally love it, but now I gotta change my game. Keep positive and if you want to do Jiu jitsu again you will

Array

School
    10 th Planet JJ Phoenix
    How is your knee fairing? I'm 43 also and was told by my Dr I'll need a new knee in next 10 years but I have already had it carved on. Good luck man I'm pulling for you and tons of props for not giving up and doing Tai Chi your an inspiration.

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    dude this is my fear. I have 2 gimpy knees and play a RG based game. keep us updated once you get the surgery.