Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    thats a question i wanted to raise. whats the deal with getting up belts and competing. is that a prerequisite for everyone, having the ten wins for blue etc or is that just for online grading? itll take at least another two years if i win every tournament in the country to get to blue if im lucky.

just wondering if there are other ways.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Alder Hampel View Post
    Nasty title right? I don't believe that at all, but I've heard it many times before. I'm wondering how many people feel like the HAVE to compete in Jiu Jitsu. We have a decent group of competitors at VN, but we also have a groups of people that don't compete at all. I used to promote competition to everybody, but now I've changed that philosophy. I now only promote competition to people who actively seek it out. I find less discouraged students that way. We have had a lot of guys compete, then never show up again, or very shortly after would burn out. I find jiu jitsu is for everybody, but competing isn't necessarily for everybody.

Agree or disagree?
    I don't think comp is necessary. It is a great way to go out and meet new people and see what's new as far as techniques go. I've seen high level schools having 2 paths for students, when belts are the question- the competitor belt path and the "I'm a 40 hour work week, full grown man, I can't lose enough weight to get into my division, my family needs me healthy" belt path.

The competitor belt path takes a lot is going to take a lot to prove you are worthy of the belt. I'm a 40 hour work week, full grown man, I can't lose enough weight to get into my division, my family needs me healthy person, but I want to compete not at senior level, but adult division, because that's just my nature. I'm a gangster.

Agreed, everyone does jiu jitsu for different reasons. Your jiu jitsu journey is dependent on what you want out of it and there are many paths to take. Personally, I live for competing and I don't care if anyone is pushing me to do it or not. However if you're that guy always treating every roll like adcc finals all the time and you don't compete, then yes, you are a pussy.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin W. View Post
    However if you're that guy always treating every roll like adcc finals all the time and you don't compete, then yes, you are a pussy.
    Excellent point!!

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Rick View Post
    I don't think comp is necessary. It is a great way to go out and meet new people and see what's new as far as techniques go. I've seen high level schools having 2 paths for students, when belts are the question- the competitor belt path and the "I'm a 40 hour work week, full grown man, I can't lose enough weight to get into my division, my family needs me healthy" belt path.

The competitor belt path takes a lot is going to take a lot to prove you are worthy of the belt. I'm a 40 hour work week, full grown man, I can't lose enough weight to get into my division, my family needs me healthy person, but I want to compete not at senior level, but adult division, because that's just my nature. I'm a gangster.
    respect for all those guys who choose to compete at adults rather than masters divisions. if I ever get into the position where I'd rather choose masters than adults, I'll go ahead and stop competing. this is me personally, I'm not trying to offend anyone because of course there are beasts in the masters divisions.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin W. View Post
    respect for all those guys who choose to compete at adults rather than masters divisions. if I ever get into the position where I'd rather choose masters than adults, I'll go ahead and stop competing. this is me personally, I'm not trying to offend anyone because of course there are beasts in the masters divisions.
    I don't see anything wrong with competing at the age level you are. How is that less worthy? I didn't start training until I was 37. I can't match the strength and speed of a 25 year old. Unfortunately for me, I am so light, I get put in the open division anyway because there isn't anyone my size.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Alder Hampel View Post
    Nasty title right? I don't believe that at all, but I've heard it many times before. I'm wondering how many people feel like the HAVE to compete in Jiu Jitsu. We have a decent group of competitors at VN, but we also have a groups of people that don't compete at all. I used to promote competition to everybody, but now I've changed that philosophy. I now only promote competition to people who actively seek it out. I find less discouraged students that way. We have had a lot of guys compete, then never show up again, or very shortly after would burn out. I find jiu jitsu is for everybody, but competing isn't necessarily for everybody.

Agree or disagree?
    Agreed
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Fighting Dragons Combat Sports & Behring Jiu Jitsu
    I guess I'm going to be the dick and I'm sure I will get beat up for this. But I move more toward disagree...to a point. But to answer this really depends on the person. If your looking to get in shape and don't want to compete, don't compete. There are a lot of positive points to be said for that. But that's sport jiu jitsu and I guess that's not a bad thing for the right person. But if your looking at it as a martial art and plan on your skills protecting you.....YOU HAVE TO COMPETE. Its the only way to put yourself in a real life scramble to control and submit someone. Its the closest thing you can come to real life. Rolling in class is to safe and organized. Same old people and same old moves. Its not the same. I think if you ever plan on teaching to others, you have to compete. Of course if you have plans to use your ground skills in the cage you have to compete. In my eyes there are far more reasons to compete than not compete. If your doing it to get in shape that's fine, but I think if you ran a test and put 2 guys head to head. Equally matched in all areas. Size, skill, strength but one never competes and the other competes everyplace he can like a mad man. Who would you put your money on in the cage, in the street or in competition? This questions really not about competing its about why a person trains. You either train jiu jitsu or sport jiu jitsu. Either is fine but a sport jiu jitsu person should not be fooled by an instructor or fool themselves into thinking they are doing anything but sport jiu jitsu. different animals in my eyes. Just my personal thoughts, but what do I know? Lol.
    Always train with purpose and fight with passion . Don't be afraid to dream big, but have the balls to make your dreams come true.

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    I agree that competitions aren't for everyone but I would HIGHLY encourage everyone to compete at least once. I think its good to put yourself out there and test yourself against another person...doesn't even need to be a serious deal just go out and roll. Plus I think everyone should be in a "fight" at least once in their life even if it is just a jiu jitsu match/comp. I got into jiu jitsu for multiple reasons and yes competing was one of them, but my favorite part about jiu jitsu is just rolling with my friends on a lazy sunday and working on new shit.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Competition is definitely not for everyone. But if self defense is a big reason why you're investing time and money into training then competition is essential. The butterflies you get in competition are almost identical to the ones you get in a street confrontation. If you aren't used to performing under pressure there is a chance you could freeze in a real life situation.

If self defense has nothing to do with your training then competition is not vital.

I think everyone should compete at least a few times IMO. You might love it or you might hate it, you won't know til you try. :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast