Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura

Sub Only Tournament at Big John's

A few of our warriors from HQ competed in the Sub Only tournament at Big John's over the weekend. They had an interesting format - instead of draws, they have overtime periods where competitors were able to choose which standard position they would like to attack from (guard, half-guard, back control, mount) for a two-minute overtime period. I've heard Eddie talk about this as a possibility for tie breakers before but this is the first time I saw it in action.

At the end of regulation, the ref would turn his back to the crowd and hold a number of fingers up. One person would call "even" or "odd" and if they were right, they won the right to choose their position. If there was still no submission at the end of the first overtime, the other competitor would then choose their position. If there were four overtimes with no winner, I think a draw would be called. I didn't see anything like that go down.

I only saw one person choose something other than back control for overtime. The video of Zisu, one of our white belts, starts towards the end of regulation time, then goes to triple overtime before he lands a RNC.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    So big john used the overtime sub only innings?! Wow, nice!

#supportsubonly

........in other news, Compella had one opponent and subbed him
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    That's how the Submission Challenge does it too except the more aggressive person gets to pick between back with hooks in or spiderweb. It's a nice tiebreaker

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ Downtown LA
    Right on Z. Way to rep Hq!

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    ........in other news, Compella had one opponent and subbed him
    Twice. Once with an armbar and once with a darce (they had two matches)

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Very cool... sounds like this format worked.

Array

School
    10WO
    Anyway to get this to Rose Gracie? I wonder if seeing the overtime rounds in action would change her opinion of them...

Array

School
    10th Planet O'Fallon, IL
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber Kamischke View Post
    That's how the Submission Challenge does it too except the more aggressive person gets to pick between back with hooks in or spiderweb. It's a nice tiebreaker
    Derek's Submission Challenge works in a similar way, but there will never be a draw. In the event there's no sub, he takes the shortest amount of time it takes for the competitors to escape. Check it out: http://midwestsubmissionchallenge.co...e-information/

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Meek View Post
    Derek's Submission Challenge works in a similar way, but there will never be a draw. In the event there's no sub, he takes the shortest amount of time it takes for the competitors to escape. Check it out: http://midwestsubmissionchallenge.co...e-information/
    At the Chicago event, two of the women's gi matches ended with double overtime so the fastest escape was used to determine the winner. One girl even threw up after because she had never gone that long and hard before.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    pretty close to the rules at our in house tournament last month - love it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast