Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Perez View Post
    HAHAHA. I was playing with you Fraser I don't have bad feelings towards you or Chris. Just making a joke. Glad you played along. I apologize if I came across as rude. I was only joking and trying to get you worked up but you played it off well.
    1366420933912.jpg

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraser Taylor View Post

Array

School
    Primal Instinct Academy
    To underestimate Chris is one thing, but to downright disrespect him that's just ridiculous.

He's not well known on the forum but he's well known in his local community, so much so he's been nominated for two awards this year in his local district by a student of his that he helps with depression.
    I know he'll put me on blast for posting this because in real life he is a humble guy (not something you could tell from his self righteous posts I'll be honest) but knowing him he won't be back on this thread anyway, although he's still posting elsewhere which is good as he's the kinda person this system needs.

Name of team, club, project or organisation:
    Elements Mixed Martial Arts

Length of time with team, club, project or organisation:
    3 Years

Awards Nominated for:
    Bromsgrove Unsung Hero
    Bromsgrove Area Coach of the year

What has been achieved over the last 12 months:

Chris Garry is the owner of Elements MMA in Rubery, a martial arts academy which is home to over 80 members who train across the 18 classes available each week. I am nominating Chris because of his passion and commitment to martial arts but more importantly his affinity with the local community. His gym is a credit to him and an achievement that the community in Rubery are proud of. Chris has created a facility which is top class by any standards, it has the best facilities, with champion coaches, yet it still maintains a family-like environment. Thanks to Chris’ relentless work ethics the academy is now affiliated to 10th planet Jiu Jitsu, a worldwide franchise; the 2nd of only 4 in the UK with Chris making inroads into the highly anticipated launch of the London branch this year, visiting the Capitol several times last year. Jiu Jitsu fanatics from around the UK regularly travel to train at Elements MMA including people from as far as Germany, New Zealand and Hong Kong.

Last year Elements was host to Eddie Bravo a Jiu Jitsu and martial arts legend from L.A. Who gave a memorable seminar in Rubery. Chris has also set up competitions attracting athletes from all over the UK, establishing sponsorships with global brands that have helped the academy and its members go from strength to strength.

Chris treats his members like family. When they train at Elements they embrace a way of life which is based on self-improvement, making healthy lifestyle choices and gaining a sense of achievement and self-worth.

What makes them stand out above the rest:

This martial arts academy and gym is different than most and this is down to Chris who runs his facility the way he does because he is so passionate about martial arts and his members. I can recall many times when members have not been able to afford training fees due to hardship and rather than turn them away he finds them work cleaning, bookkeeping and in general maintenance in order to cover their fees allowing them to continue to train.

In acknowledgment that some of his members had been made redundant Chris innovated a partnership with recruitment agency Gap Personnel designed to help local jobseekers faced with limited employment opportunities. The partnership means unemployed people living in and around the area can find out the latest job vacancies on job boards at his premises. Elements MMA is not your normal martial arts academy, but Chris Garry is not your normal director.

Chris also competes vigorously alongside his members, in the 2013 season he has won 6 Gold and 2 silver medals in Regional and National Grappling Championships. Most notable was his recent Silver Medal in the British Open Championships, beaten solely by 2007/08 World Champion Brazilian Luiz Tosta.

Any other information:

Until you've trained at Elements MMA you have probably not heard of Chris Garry; that’s because Chris is too busy running the business to openly boast or take credit for any of the academy’s achievements.

His achievements, his nobility and the fact that he is relatively unknown in Bromsgrove is the reason he is an ideal nomination for this award.

Chris Garry is the owner of Elements MMA, a small martial arts academy of 3 years based in Rubery. Chris is also a lifelong resident of Rubery. He is very attest to the long term issues that Rubery village faces including that the locality is virtually devoid of any new enterprise, the lack of healthy living options in the community with its high street taken over by takeaway outlets, and depletion of positive activities for young people. Chris thrives on reinvigorating interest in the local community.

I've personally been a student of Elements MMA for 12 months. When I was diagnosed with depression I was at rock bottom, I needed inspiration and escapism from the stresses of life. Elements MMA is now the reset button that allows me to enjoy some moments of peace away from the stress and inner noise I deal with through my depression. My story is not unique to Elements, as well as catering for members with mental illness such as autism, ADHD and bipolar Chris has facilitated countless successful weight loss programmes. Dozens of the members cite Chris as the reason they are on the right tracks, myself being a classic case in point.
    Not mine or Chris's words, words of someone with clinical depression who Chris has helped with jiu jitsu.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    I tried this back take today at training and it worked perfectly!!

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    I hit this live last week and I love it! It even works with guys bigger than me

Array

School
    10th Planet North Dallas
    Little bump on a tech from EBI's first welter weight champ.
    "Your jiu Jitsu should have no corners in it, it should flow from one position to the next."

Instagram: choke_artist

Marcelotine- 365
    Leg Drag- 550

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345