Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rubber Guard HELP!

Hey Guys,

I love using rubber guard, it is extremely effective, and I have been having a very high success rate in using it. I have been working on the rubber guard on my own (through use of the Mastering the Rubber Guard books/DVDs) seeing as how there is no 10planet schools around me.

With all that being said, When I use the rubber guard, I experience bad knee pain, and its not even while I'm doing it, it hurts the next day (and feels lose when I am doing it).

I have no problem with flexibility, I can do the double lotus, full butterfly stretch, and I can even heel hook myself. Am I doing something wrong? I would hate to stop using the rubber guard, do to this problem, I have a very high submission rate using it.

I know some people who are super flexible get away with bad RG technique and endanger their knees. I would try to get to a seminar, a moon, hotbox or even ask someone legit if you see them at a tourney to look at what you are doing and make sure you are setting up properly and not trying to force it.

Array

School
    Ronin
    It is important to understand the difference between mobility and laxity. Mobility is the ability of the body to actively/muscularly move through a range of motion. Laxity is a looseness in the structure of a joint that allows it to be passively moved. Muscle laxity initially seems like a great thing for a RG practitioner, but without the cascading muscular contraction (ie the hard leg curls) that stabilize the joint (especially a structurally inferior joint like the knee) the body can be easily damaged.
    I would suggest that you play with active mobility exercises and static position specific contractions to strengthen the RG muscles. I am also a big fan of Scott Sonnons Circular Strength System for this.

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Damn Mike, thanks for the great breakdown. That's exactly what I needed to read in preparation for a long journey in JJ. Bookmarked!

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    You have to get the angle. The toes should never be closer to your head than your knee. Flex your foot towards your shin (not your calf) to keep your knee straight and stable. Even if you are flexible these details are important. It doesn't matter your flexibility level, the knee is not meant to bend in any way other than back and forth. The flexibility for rg comes from your hips, therefore, you should feel the stretch in your upper legs/glutes.

This all being said, I'm no rg expert. I've just been taught to keep these details in mind by the Woolsey's. You do not want to go through what Brandon is going through with his knees.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    what i suggest is doing leg exercises like one legged squats, and putting your feet on a swiss/yoga ball and then while lifting your butt up and keeping your back straight, bring your knees up to your stomach and back down in a straight line. this will help build up more muscle in your hamstrings and quads which can help stabilise the knee a bit, it also increases the activity in the neural receptors in the knee which will also help. do about 4 sets of 10 of each exercise each night and after 3 weeks you should start seeing some differences.

when doing RG work on getting the angle on the side so instead of being square with the opponent, your at a 45 degree angle ie diagonal to them. watch the black belts etc play rg for great examples. or brian barncat debes.

and maybe be cautious when youre rolling with bigger guys than yourself. while it can work. if youre having problems already then it probably isnt worth the risk.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I would focus on getting to your side and hugging your knee. This will help you to draw the flexibility from your hip rather than your knee.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike May View Post
    It is important to understand the difference between mobility and laxity. Mobility is the ability of the body to actively/muscularly move through a range of motion. Laxity is a looseness in the structure of a joint that allows it to be passively moved. Muscle laxity initially seems like a great thing for a RG practitioner, but without the cascading muscular contraction (ie the hard leg curls) that stabilize the joint (especially a structurally inferior joint like the knee) the body can be easily damaged.
    I would suggest that you play with active mobility exercises and static position specific contractions to strengthen the RG muscles. I am also a big fan of Scott Sonnons Circular Strength System for this.
    Damn dude! Did you go to crackhead college?!?

So are you saying that having strong hamstrings from leg curls is good for rubber guard players playa?
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

thanks guys,

I will definately try it, I appreciate the advice.

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Damn dude! Did you go to crackhead college?!?

So are you saying that having strong hamstrings from leg curls is good for rubber guard players playa?
    Straight up sir, I believe that strength is a sad little step-child of the BJJ world, but that we could all be better if we trained both traditional strength systems, and modify strength paradigms to match our sport specific movement patterns (for example doing cable leg curls with the hips opened for butterfly).
    I was a power lifter, and trainer before 10thPJJ took over my life, but I apply the lessons and disciplined approach to the way I train the System.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast