Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Crucifix

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    I thought there were 3 main variations

1) the "back" crucifix where for example your opponents turtled and you trap the arm and roll, then you split your opponents arms apart and neck crank, armbar or choke them. I thought this was the main one because the guy looks like he is stuck on a cross. In wrestling if you lock this variation up you lose because it's a pin for the person on top...

2) opponents turtled and you lock it but dont roll, he would still be turtled.

3) "mounted" crucifix from side control

Marcelo is really good with it... If you watch the video of him vrs damian maia he sets up a marcelotine off of the 2nd variation. He also has a neat set up off of the Heisman for if you cannot get all the way out.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Brick View Post
    I thought there were 3 main variations

1) the "back" crucifix where for example your opponents turtled and you trap the arm and roll, then you split your opponents arms apart and neck crank, armbar or choke them. I thought this was the main one because the guy looks like he is stuck on a cross. In wrestling if you lock this variation up you lose because it's a pin for the person on top...

2) opponents turtled and you lock it but dont roll, he would still be turtled.

3) "mounted" crucifix from side control

Marcelo is really good with it... If you watch the video of him vrs damian maia he sets up a marcelotine off of the 2nd variation. He also has a neat set up off of the Heisman for if you cannot get all the way out.
    That Heisman set up is pretty slick. I got some reps in from a set up from side control that I think will work at a high percentage. Pretty pumped.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Revolution Combat Sports
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    I think it's called the Baret choke no? Baret is incredible with it. I thought the crucifix was the side control rabbit punch thing that Matt Hughes did to BJ, no? Am I retarded ?
    I still remember that being called a Salaverry after Ivan beat down some folks with it. I think that started when he was the main event of the original Ultimate Fighter about ten years ago. Guess I'm old ;-)

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wallace View Post
    I still remember that being called a Salaverry after Ivan beat down some folks with it. I think that started when he was the main event of the original Ultimate Fighter about ten years ago. Guess I'm old ;-)
    i think the salaverry is pinning the arm under the leg but not really getting the triangle with the legs to control the arm. i think submissions 101 may have had a video on it that i saw years ago and the makers of the ufc games put it in.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    so correct me if im wrong but you would call ita crucifix control when one arm is controlling one of their arms and your legs are controlling their other arm?

because i go into it all the time from jiu claw. i get the omaplata and when i sit up i hook the arm and use it to twist my body around to get the tap. it also takes way his abilty to base well and makes it easy to flatten. and if he rolls out of it i can keep the control and attack more from there. the chokes are all available aswell but i really love my omplata so i always aim to finish from there.
    Not sure if thats considered a crucifix but I dont see why not.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    I am sort of surprised 10th Planet does not have more paths, advanced setups, and finishes related to the crucifix. It is such a dynamic position with several finishes everywhere you look. I have been using the crucifix to setup the reverse omoplata from both the turtle and side control. I think once you get into side control, the reverse omaplata is the most high percent shoulder lock and I am consequently searching for the best crucifix setups in an attempt to level up my finishing skills.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions

This leg kimura also looks fairly high percent once you get there. It just gives me another reason to keep fishing around for setups.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    TTT where is Brent Smith at?....?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    There are a couple of guys in 10p that have ridiculous game from there. Adlai Cleveland and John Botello come to mind.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    There are a couple of guys in 10p that have ridiculous game from there. Adlai Cleveland and John Botello come to mind.
    I am sure there are. I am just sort of surprised I have not seen anything in Mastering the System or any demos from any of the moons. Of course I could have missed some. It seems to me there could be some transitions to the crucifix off of some Truck entries and with it being such a dynamic position, it would be helpful to divide up the hierarchy of layers to the crucifix with names and 10th Planet excels at naming positions that make it easier for someone to remember the positions and transitions and so on and so forth...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast