Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    None

HELP!!! Mission control problems =(

I don't know if this has been asked yet, but i'm a smaller, lighter guy. When I get into mission control when I roll with bigger guys they posture up no matter how high I am on them and no matter how hard I'm pulling down with the foot on the hip. I always play with the idea of being able to swing into an omoplata/ jiu claw position. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem and if so, is this possible if you can control and time it just so? It seems plausible, but it looks like there is nothing online that i've found of it. I would appreciate it if anyone could make a video or link a video? Even if it's of swinging to jiu claw holding the arm and having it trapped so you're sorta hanging down, legs up, while they're still up and maybe giving it up to get to the back maybe or something like that? I'm a pretty athletic, quick, bendy guy as well. So I feel like I could do it if it was refined enough. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to brainstorm a fix for this small guy/girl problem when faced with a bigger overall stronger opponent. I can't be the only one this happens to haha. If somebody could practice this and get it down and make a video showing how it would be done would save me. More over if there already is a move that is used from this picked up position and could link me or show me it would be incredibly appreciated. You'd be surprised at how many big body builder-esque type of guys easily 3 times my size want to roll with me, lol. They do feel a little silly though when I eventually tap them, but I always get lifted up by them so I just ditch it and work half guard and get the tap from there most times haha. I appreciate any and all help you guys and gals have to offer.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Happens to me a good amount. Go to Jiu claw, sinch it tight and catch an S grip on the far shoulder so they can't roll, then go for the Omo. If they try to sit up go of the gogo or switch to a Hip Bump sweep.
    Also, sometimes I'll hook the opposite side elbow with my foot, kind of a chicken wing type thing. You can use your foot like a hook to bring the wrist to you. I like to grab the wrist and put the foot in the elbow for control.
    Also, from Jiu claw, let them roll then turn in for side control. Those are my go tos from there. If you can use your forearm and foot in RG to turn their head to a side that helps keep them down. That's all I got brother. :-) Hope it helps some.
    Be one with yourself and know you can do anything when you are friends with yourself.

10th Planet Gulf Shores Official Website

Array

School
    None
    Thank you SO much Tori! That is exactly what I needed. I'm not the best with visualizing things, if you could in your free time make a quick video sort of just going through the motions, that would be super rad of you =). Doing Jiu Jitsu right now is near impossible with no money, no job and no one to roll with in the area. I'm stuck in the solo act at the moment until I move to Florida. A video would be lovely to study. If you or anybody reading this can, I would be so grateful for your time if it's at all possible =) I'll grab my power ranger toy figures and make them practice it so I can see it until a video pops up, lol. Thanks again Tori! =D

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Instead of trying mission control on a much bigger opponent, use one of the tricks to get their hand to the mat while they're in your guard and go straight to new York. Probably have better odds

Array

School
    None
    Hey Tom! about half the time, I get to New York and everything is solid. Until these god damn Bane look-a-likes lift me up. I can even get to chill dog and that most of the time keeps them from lifting me up. Every so often though me being such a light guy I still get lifted in full chill dog/ I.C. and that puts more pressure on my bony ankles than i'd like so I release it, but not before switching back to mission control/NY just so I don't lose too much headway. Most times I give them Half guard and get them with lockdown and usually end it with something from there. I really want to work my RG Mission Control path more though. I practice and go through everything fine and dandy on a normal sized partner, practice and rolling. Then comes in the bigger guy who stuffs it by lifting me pretty much. I can transition to something else no problem though and keep going, but I really would like to have something i'm able to do and use so as not to give up full guard. Other than the Omo. is there a possible kinda like risky kimura or something I can grab while falling? Maybe a slick triangle if they are slow on the reaction??... I don't know, any help though is super welcomed =) haha. The struggle of being a little guy who loves RG too much lol.

Array

School
    Rip Tide Combat and Fitness
    Air pump might help a bit

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Tori Applegate View Post
    Happens to me a good amount. Go to Jiu claw, sinch it tight and catch an S grip on the far shoulder so they can't roll, then go for the Omo. If they try to sit up go of the gogo or switch to a Hip Bump sweep.
    Also, sometimes I'll hook the opposite side elbow with my foot, kind of a chicken wing type thing. You can use your foot like a hook to bring the wrist to you. I like to grab the wrist and put the foot in the elbow for control.
    Also, from Jiu claw, let them roll then turn in for side control. Those are my go tos from there. If you can use your forearm and foot in RG to turn their head to a side that helps keep them down. That's all I got brother. :-) Hope it helps some.

i really like skipping mission control and working from free new york and free chill dogs, im getting that kung fu move in as quickly as possible. if you can watch marcelo garcias series 4 dvd he goes into massive detail on his omoplatas. a few things he really points out is 1. knee pressure. pushing them down with the knees and keeping them there. 2. sittign straight up twards the opposite arm and hooking under it. tori says s grip and this could be better on big guys but if you make a fist with one hand and the other hand goes over this allows you to use a better arm motion that makes it tighter. (its all about the situation though)

look up the ice pick, pretty much when they posture up what you want to do is keep control of their arm and then slam your legs down at an angle to them. so if your both facing the same way, aim for a 45 degree angle.

if they do a forward roll to get out of it into side mount, you can either move in side mount or mount, you can forward roll afterwards and go back into the omoplata, you can spin around to the monoplata control, you can bounce over to the other side and get back into the omoplata and theres a few other options.

one alternative would be getting the omoplata but unable to finish it, you can get a choke on them while keeping the omoplata in. it tightens the omoplata and can choke them.

also look into hazelet etc. threaten with the carni. theres lots of things from there. ther are entries to the omoplata from guillotines singles and double leg defenses triangles armbars (from top and bottum) and from almost every position available.

going to the monoplata can be very useful once u get good because you dont need to use much strength. and if they sweep you, then it goes into gogoplata or omoplata again etc.

you can also aim for toe holds if they are sitting up or trying to swing their legs over you.

if none of that helps, then use the omoplata as a sweep and get position from it instead of submission.

good luck.

a few other guys to look into are nino schembri and demian maia. they both have some interesting omoplata games.

Array

School
    None
    Thanks all of you! That video actually helps when I get into that position after they lift me up while in chill dog and I switch back to MC, thanks sean. Isaac, thanks that's a lot of good info to keep ready when I get to those. When I get a chance too I'll play around with all of them. Again though, if anyone knows anybody that can make a video of a small guy being lifted up and to clarify a bit, They sit up with me in MC, not so much actually go up. Although they do that to, and that's a great move to use again thanks. Yeah though, they usually sit up with me in MC and they're postured up basically with me in a vertical mission control lol. A quick vid of a guy posturing up with you in MC and him holding you up then switching to a jiu claw or something would be super helpful if anybody can make it happen. I won't be able to train until April I'm busy with moving and college at the moment so a video would be great until I can try it out myself. It would just be the biggest help. Even when I get the hand to the mat they us it to push themselves up on their knees and sit with me hangin like a bandanna round their neck haha. even when they don't have it they do it. When I do get it down though I usually try my best to transition as best I can to chill dog and IC. Though I'm now realizing I should just go for the omoplata in one fell swoop once the hand hits the mat. Thank you both =D I appreciate it and if that video can be made I'm definitely super interested in it!

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kinney View Post
    Thanks all of you! That video actually helps when I get into that position after they lift me up while in chill dog and I switch back to MC, thanks sean. Isaac, thanks that's a lot of good info to keep ready when I get to those. When I get a chance too I'll play around with all of them. Again though, if anyone knows anybody that can make a video of a small guy being lifted up and to clarify a bit, They sit up with me in MC, not so much actually go up. Although they do that to, and that's a great move to use again thanks. Yeah though, they usually sit up with me in MC and they're postured up basically with me in a vertical mission control lol. A quick vid of a guy posturing up with you in MC and him holding you up then switching to a jiu claw or something would be super helpful if anybody can make it happen. I won't be able to train until April I'm busy with moving and college at the moment so a video would be great until I can try it out myself. It would just be the biggest help. Even when I get the hand to the mat they us it to push themselves up on their knees and sit with me hangin like a bandanna round their neck haha. even when they don't have it they do it. When I do get it down though I usually try my best to transition as best I can to chill dog and IC. Though I'm now realizing I should just go for the omoplata in one fell swoop once the hand hits the mat. Thank you both =D I appreciate it and if that video can be made I'm definitely super interested in it!

best bet is to pay the 5 dollars a month and sign up to Mastering the system. then if thats not enough travel out to teh nearest moon. youve got indianapolis, detroit and richmond, all very close to you. coach zog in rochester isnt too far away and hes always worth the visit from what i hear.

as i said, free new yorks are everywhere and can be forced in a lot of ways. but that doesnt mean throwing your legs around like crazy. put reps into the technique and make sure you keep everything super tight.

another thing i forgot to add is to work on ur leg curls and squeeze.

and im going to have a guess that you are staying in line with them when your in MC, try moving towards the arm you want to zombie and stay at the angle. that makes it a lot harder for them to posture up.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Air pump is a solid tech. Should be drilled often
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast