Philosophy making your jitsu game better- my thoughts

I just wanna share with all you what has helped me get my game a heck of a lot better and in a short period of time. Even though my game is not off the roof, but i like to think its progressing fast.

As a philosophy student/fanatic i am very attracted to the 10th planet system and approach. Its all connected, like jason says in his episodes intro, its 'an entire universe'.
    and it couldnt be more true...

Now, for my point. I think that if you train hard and on top of everything you add more detail to how you THINK about jiu jitsu and how your mind is working while you roll, your game will explode in such amazing ways. when you are stuck in a position, lets say someone has you on side control... if you cant remember Chris Herzongs amazing ghost escape and you seem stuck and feel like giving up.. use your mind as a tool. my jiu jitsu game has 6 limbs. arms, legs, head, and the motherfucking mind.

Picture yourself and see youself from an overhead perspective and see those holes and gaps your opponent has that you normally wouldn't see or think about when ur stuck in there. How many times have u seen ur partner rolling and you start yelling at him or her 'get that underhook!' or 'get his back' or 'you can put your knee on his belly!'. all these things he or she has and they dont do because they forget or whatever.

BE YOUR OWN CORNER MAN & SEE YOUR OWN OPENINGS WHILE YOU ROLL

This, to me, is an essential tool that will make you a better grappler overnight. I promise. I almost didnt feel like sharing this, but hell, we're a fucking family.

thats just my grain of salt to the 10th planet universe. Philosophy and thinking outside the box to me is just another tool in my arsenal... aside from my base

what do you think?

Oh and for the record, believe it or not i dont smoke weed, hahahaha but i drink enough to put an elephant down. lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Burbank
    I think critical thinking is important, as I like to approach it intellectually too. Too much of philosophy is "analysis paralysis" and just coming up with theories, shooting down theories, and never really getting anywhere. Never in my life have I read so many long ass books to wind up at the end the same place where I started.

So if you mean philosophy more in the sense of some combination of "critical thinking", spirituality and problem solving, then yes.

(That was my Horwich moment)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Elkin View Post
    I think critical thinking is important, as I like to approach it intellectually too. Too much of philosophy is "analysis paralysis" and just coming up with theories, shooting down theories, and never really getting anywhere. Never in my life have I read so many long ass books to wind up at the end the same place where I started.

So if you mean philosophy more in the sense of some combination of "critical thinking", spirituality and problem solving, then yes.

(That was my Horwich moment)
    Well, you're taking philosophy for the common way people approach it ... which yes, it does involve redundant arguments lol. but philosophy literally means 'the love of wisdom' and wisdom is knowledge haha sounds so cheesy but its true. And yes you end up right where you started because philosophy has no answers... thats the whole point.. it stimulates you to think...think... and think some more. If it had any answers, it would be called science (astronomy was philosophy before we understood the stars, and so on)

But yes, i mean philosophy in the sense of thinking. critical thinking is a form of thinking, so yeah, critical thinking as well

Array

School
    Taekwondo, Thai Boxing, Jiu Jtsu, Chess, Basketball, Football, Guitar etc etc
    What if you only want to copy Eddie Bravo??? Because that seems what I want to do.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    One can not copy one's self, you can only be who you are.... You can emulate another persons behaviors, body movements, characteristics, but not the true "person" can be copied. In other words find yourself, instead of trying just to be like someone else And Carlos, you need to open that Pandora's box, see you this evening!

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal
    Awesome post, Riosdrummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    One can not copy one's self, you can only be who you are.... You can emulate another persons behaviors, body movements, characteristics, but not the true "person" can be copied. In other words find yourself, instead of trying just to be like someone else And Carlos, you need to open that Pandora's box, see you this evening!
    Yeah man, im excited. Always nice to meet 10th Planet peeps around the globe

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Rios View Post
    Well, you're taking philosophy for the common way people approach it ... which yes, it does involve redundant arguments lol. but philosophy literally means 'the love of wisdom' and wisdom is knowledge haha sounds so cheesy but its true. And yes you end up right where you started because philosophy has no answers... thats the whole point.. it stimulates you to think...think... and think some more. If it had any answers, it would be called science (astronomy was philosophy before we understood the stars, and so on)

But yes, i mean philosophy in the sense of thinking. critical thinking is a form of thinking, so yeah, critical thinking as well
    Ah, my man, Carlos.

And, yes, the odd time, through critical thought, tempered by methodological rigor, you'll stumble on a line of thought that does indeed transform your worldview.

Array

School
    Revolution Combat Sports
    Bruce Lee said martial arts are ultimately the best self-help because they lead,if utilized to their fullest, to self-actualization. That is a higher goal thaen self-image actualization, because you're developing the REAL person. I've always thought of 10th Planet as the JKD of the grappling world. The haters and dogmatic cloth lovers prove it, to me at least.