Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Thank you guys!!! Eddie you definitely made your point clear. Thanks. I just need to be more patient with myself and not so hard on myself.

Renato, I have actually started training some in the gi to help improve my fundamentals. However I grew up wrestling so nogi is what I'm most comfortable with. Though for Jiu Jitsu, I am seeing how the gi will help with basics. I just love any form of grappling as a sport.

So what i think Eddie is trying to say is........ Reps and Spar?

RW

Array

School
    Springfield BJJ
    Something that I heard recently that has made a difference to me was "separate thinking from doing." Meaning if you are just sitting in your chair it is ok to be thinking about moves and flows. But when you are actually in the moment, go for whatever your body tells you to WITHOUT thinking. And the INSTANT you don't let your body do what it wants ("oh there is the electric chair..but I might get d'arced") then it won't feed you instincts anymore. If your instinct is wrong and you go for it, the speed with which you reacted may make it ok...and if it was the wrong instinct the consequence will teach your body. It's like Eddie says about reps. Do it until you can do it without thinking...the same way you tie your shoes...You can talk and pay no attention and your fingers tie your shoes for you....Eventually your gogoplata should be the same way. Gosh...now if only I could make it work that easily...

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Reps reps reps, spar spar spar Reps reps reps, spar spar spar Reps reps reps, spar spar spar Reps reps reps, spar spar spar Reps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar sparReps reps reps, spar spar spar
    Eddie forgot... smoke weed! It truly helps.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    I was expecting the IDL (indian death lock) on the Paulson vid, nice series tho.

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Walker View Post
    Something that I heard recently that has made a difference to me was "separate thinking from doing." Meaning if you are just sitting in your chair it is ok to be thinking about moves and flows. But when you are actually in the moment, go for whatever your body tells you to WITHOUT thinking. And the INSTANT you don't let your body do what it wants ("oh there is the electric chair..but I might get d'arced") then it won't feed you instincts anymore. If your instinct is wrong and you go for it, the speed with which you reacted may make it ok...and if it was the wrong instinct the consequence will teach your body. It's like Eddie says about reps. Do it until you can do it without thinking...the same way you tie your shoes...You can talk and pay no attention and your fingers tie your shoes for you....Eventually your gogoplata should be the same way. Gosh...now if only I could make it work that easily...
    That makes sense. I like that. I'm trying to get better at just going for things that feel right. I have a bad tendency to hesitate because I'm afraid of getting submitted....which I need to quit doing because I won't learn otherwise right? Thanks, RW

Array

School
    Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Walker View Post
    I agree with you but it only works if you have put in the, reps reps reps

Array

School
    Revolution Combat Sports
    Try drilling flows. If u go for 1 thing & they shut u down, then you switch to what they give u. Armbar to Triangle back to Armbar is a good example. Also, I think one thing Eddie states that is often overlooked is that you have to have good basic Jiu Jitsu to complete your game. I'm finding that the better my BJJ is, the better I can implement my 10th Planet. YMMV, but play with it some.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ft Laudy HB
    Why would training with a gi help? I have watched a 10th planet person go to gi and now everything is very loose. I dont understand how doing something with a gi that you can grab onto is going to help when you have to clinch without it. Maybe Im missing the point. Can somebody help me understand that?
    Chris Herzog Blue Belt

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonWoolsey View Post
    Why would training with a gi help? I have watched a 10th planet person go to gi and now everything is very loose. I dont understand how doing something with a gi that you can grab onto is going to help when you have to clinch without it. Maybe Im missing the point. Can somebody help me understand that?
    I think he is referring to just having BJJ basics down. Not necessarily training with the gi. Could be wrong though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast