Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I've been told my entire Jiu Jitsu "career" not to use the thumb on the Kimura but I do everytime. Is there a reason not to? Seems more secure to me to grab that wrist
    I never use thumbs on the hand that's gripping your own wrist.. Depending on his defense, the angle of his resistance pressure, and other factors, i may take the thumb off on the wrist control hand. For the same reason Bmac is saying, throttling that wrist further. Always use the thumb on the wrist control hand in the beginning. Must. I use the kimura alot. There's more to the kimura than the sub, there's sweeps, back takes, armbars, etc.. I use the kimura grip for a back take very often.. Having the thumb on the wrist control hand is a must if you wanna use the kimura grip for positional changes..

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I def don't grip my own wrist but I do grip theirs. Ok so I'm not wrong for grabbing their wrist.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    I've started grabbing the hand instead of the wrist when I initially lock up the kimura, it makes breaking the grip in gi much easier.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    I've started grabbing the hand instead of the wrist when I initially lock up the kimura, it makes breaking the grip in gi much easier.
    Gray! Where ya been, dude? I missed your musk.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Smith View Post
    I def don't grip my own wrist but I do grip theirs. Ok so I'm not wrong for grabbing their wrist.
    I'm just a lowly blue belt, but my opinion is you are doing perfectly correct keeping the thumb grip around their wrist. I would also say that many times do I feel like the no thumbs style works better. Each has their place..

But...on the topic of the toe-hold, I think gripping the foot using thumbs is less effective than no thumbs style flipper grip.. I'm glad to see other leg-lockers on here agree.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Gray! Where ya been, dude? I missed your musk.
    I've been trying to catch up on my drinking lol.

The biggest leglock advice I have, is never leglock a dude with one leg. I went for a toe hold, folded his toes to his ankle, and he very calmly pulled my inside triangle around his nub and heelhooked me to death. Come to find out that the doctors removed most of the ligaments from his remaining ankle so it can't be submitted.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals

The biggest leglock advice I have, is never leglock a dude with one leg. I went for a toe hold, folded his toes to his ankle, and he very calmly pulled my inside triangle around his nub and heelhooked me to death. Come to find out that the doctors removed most of the ligaments from his remaining ankle so it can't be submitted.
    Was this in a tournament? Because I'd like to see that footage
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

Haha that's awesome. Maybe not for you but def for him.

I'm thinking of getting metal legs. It's a risky operation but it'll be worth it.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Was this in a tournament? Because I'd like to see that footage
    Yeah, the video is super grainy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRlX...e_gdata_player

(Stupid phone won't let me paste the embed)

Array

School
    Shawn Hammonds/NMMA
    I have two questions:
    1.) Brent where could someone find this top rock video you mentioned?
    2.) Coach Herzog, do you have any good videos on how to counter when your opponent just limp legs out of all of your attacks?

Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast