Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami

Entry into rubber guard from lockdown

So I won't be able to try this until Sat (still kind of beat up from competing), but something that I've had a bit of success with is transitioning from lockdown to full guard. One of the main reasons why I don't really use the rubber guard that much is because it's been too difficult to get the foot on the hip against the monsters I go up against in the gym. But what I'm thinking is, while in lockdown, if top half has the outside under hook (standard head and arm control), and JOL isn't working, securing the over hook, blocking the knee with the inside hand, shrimping back slightly, getting the foot on the hip and taking a free New York seems like a viable transition path.

But what do you guys think about it? Success with it, or is there a better mechanical way to make the transition?

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    I've been killing it with prison guard from half guard/lockdown. Love that. My rubber guard is good but not great. Barncat has our gyms RG defenses world class, so even though I have the second best rubberguard in our gym, it isn't that effective on our guys because they gotta deal with Barncats RG every day. I think Eddie use to show lockdown to RG back in the day. Im sure it's still a legit transition. Gotta get that leg shrimped tho, may be a bad idea to go into jersey there. I dunno.

how are you looking to get your right leg (inside leg) out and onto your opponent's hip?

guys who know what you are going for aren't going to let you pull it up and onto their hip easily unless they don't care if you put them in full guard (which shouldn't be the case). i'm confident they will use their left hand to stuff your leg.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MA
    If they keep your right leg stuffed then don't you have the ability to go straight to carni?

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_toffolo View Post
    how are you looking to get your right leg (inside leg) out and onto your opponent's hip?

guys who know what you are going for aren't going to let you pull it up and onto their hip easily unless they don't care if you put them in full guard (which shouldn't be the case). i'm confident they will use their left hand to stuff your leg.
    I guess the idea would be that the hand stuffing the knee would be an under hook which would be in the way of their defending arm. Also seeing as how they would have head and arm control it would be difficult to block the foot on the hip without compromising their base.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    I've been killing it with prison guard from half guard/lockdown. Love that. My rubber guard is good but not great. Barncat has our gyms RG defenses world class, so even though I have the second best rubberguard in our gym, it isn't that effective on our guys because they gotta deal with Barncats RG every day. I think Eddie use to show lockdown to RG back in the day. Im sure it's still a legit transition. Gotta get that leg shrimped tho, may be a bad idea to go into jersey there. I dunno.
    Pg from perfect double unders is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    Pg from perfect double unders is awesome
    amen to that

i think the underhook you have with your right arm is unlikely to be strong enough to keep their left/defending arm from stuffing your leg since you have shrimped your hips out to the left.

you're right, it will compromise their base when they block by pinching their legs in but you're going to need to bridge or test their base to get their leg based out (otherwise they will stay pinching with their legs)

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_toffolo View Post
    amen to that

i think the underhook you have with your right arm is unlikely to be strong enough to keep their left/defending arm from stuffing your leg since you have shrimped your hips out to the left.

you're right, it will compromise their base when they block by pinching their legs in but you're going to need to bridge or test their base to get their leg based out (otherwise they will stay pinching with their legs)
    So I guys what you're saying is, it's difficult, but with the proper details, it's possible.

Array

School
    N/A
    Check out MTS episode 62 where Eddie rolls with Matt from Montreal. Eddie goes from bottom half over/under to stomp to single butterfly, elevates it to get him to base then catches a flying chilldog. He does it over and over during the roll. I think that might be what your talking about.

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by BrySnave View Post
    Check out MTS episode 62 where Eddie rolls with Matt from Montreal. Eddie goes from bottom half over/under to stomp to single butterfly, elevates it to get him to base then catches a flying chilldog. He does it over and over during the roll. I think that might be what your talking about.
    This is exactly what I was going to say... yeah you have to stomp and go into the butterfly 1st. threatening them with the butterfly will open them up for the full guard. The butterfly is the link between lockdown and full guard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast