Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Dwellers / 10thplanet Ronin

To play or not to play

So this evening we went back to A Team (CheckMat) at Westminster and Cora train with them again. Love what the coach is doing with the kids. I think they have a great kids program there. I was sitting there watching the kids and the coach come to me and give some advice. He begin by saying there are 2 things that Cora need to fix in order to be competitive. 1st is her inverted, which I agree with him. But there is always room for improvement since we just barely playing this game. He says that there are many other option that are better than the inverted. I totally agree. Then he continues... 2nd, the "high guard" game doesn't work at high level kids competition ie "rubber guard". He says that not one high level guy adult or kids play this game ever at the Worlds or any IBJJF events. Although I can't confirm or disagree with what he is saying, I just go with the flow, but in my heart I know better. Cora just need another year of 10thplanet JJ inject into her. All that people see is just a year in the making. As I watch Cora roll, I start thinking along the line of his advice. When we left there for dinner, I continue to think about what he is advising me. But then I dissect it down more. The kids that Cora actually have problems with are bigger and older and the ones that are her size and age has been training since they were 4 years old and are still yellow belt(deceiving me). I'm not sure what factor to take in judging how Cora skill stacks up to these kids as there are so many variables. Cora trains for little over 3 yrs and she is an Orange belt by Texas standard. But when we got here, the kids who have been training 6-7 yrs are only yellow belt. So when she get smashed by a yellow belt, I'm thinking she's not putting up a fight. Is Texas promoting too fast or Cali promoting too slow?? Or maybe we skip a belt color? Cora came from white to yellow to Orange. But here I see kids who are white, grey, yellow, and orange. So by Cali standard, is Cora really a yellow belt?? I'm so confused. Make me want to say "SCREW IBJJF!!!!"

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    The idea that no one uses rubber guard at the highest level will be changing in the future with how many amazing 10th Planet competitors there are now.

Array

School
    Nova Uniao BJ Penns MMAA
    It has much to do with ibjjf standards and the fact that you have to be at least 16 yrs of age to receive your blue belt. Minimum age for a yellow belt is 7, orange is 10, and green is 13. So I'm not sure how old cora is, but the current status quo of kids ranking in jj will keep her as an orange until she's 13. This is why there are stripes and solid or rank with a white stripe black stripe deal. So that kids can continually be promoted and progress according to their school standards, while being compliant with the ibjjf.

As far as inverted guard and high guard, we'll see just how well cora stacks up this week at the Kids Pan ams. Good luck guys...

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by La'akea Sanborn View Post
    It has much to do with ibjjf standards and the fact that you have to be at least 16 yrs of age to receive your blue belt. Minimum age for a yellow belt is 7, orange is 10, and green is 13. So I'm not sure how old cora is, but the current status quo of kids ranking in jj will keep her as an orange until she's 13. This is why there are stripes and solid or rank with a white stripe black stripe deal. So that kids can continually be promoted and progress according to their school standards, while being compliant with the ibjjf.

As far as inverted guard and high guard, we'll see just how well cora stacks up this week at the Kids Pan ams. Good luck guys...
    I hear what you saying but that doesn't explain why a kid who is as old as Cora (11) and has been training since he is 4 yrs old and is still a yellow belt? All the while I'm looking at cora like "you let a yellow belt smash you??" LOL

Array

School
    Nova Uniao BJ Penns MMAA
    she didn't compete yet right?

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by La'akea Sanborn View Post
    she didn't compete yet right?
    no not yet. This Sunday.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Vinny used the RG on Werdum in ADCC. Dudes who bash the RG are ignorant. Yes, Cora and everybody else training in Jiu Jitsu for 3 years has a lot more to learn. Cora is awesome, period :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Bruce - The guys from check mat are into sport jiu jitsu and know how to play that game. In my humble opinion 10th Planet is about finishing opponents, not out scoring them. I personally could not care less if I lose by points. For me it is all about how I played the game. I want to use what I believe are the best positions for avoiding damage and finishing my opponent (I use the 10th Planet unique techniques when they present themselves) but remember 10th Planet is anything that has been proven to work. As a female competitor, Cora is always going to have bad matchups, but I believe this will only make her stronger. I say let her play the way that makes her happy.

As far as other lower belts smashing her... Who cares! Cora is a beast who is competing honestly and we have tons of respect for her

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    Vinny used the RG on Werdum in ADCC. Dudes who bash the RG are ignorant. Yes, Cora and everybody else training in Jiu Jitsu for 3 years has a lot more to learn. Cora is awesome, period :-)
    Oh I'm not worry about what people say, I know better. Although I have no rank, I know more about 10thplanet jits than any other black belt outside of the system. So yeah I take it for what it is and be happy... What we see of Cora is just the tip of the iceberg. We just only beginning. Another full year or two she will work out those bugs and will truly open people's eyes.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Harris View Post
    Bruce - The guys from check mat are into sport jiu jitsu and know how to play that game. In my humble opinion 10th Planet is about finishing opponents, not out scoring them. I personally could not care less if I lose by points. For me it is all about how I played the game. I want to use what I believe are the best positions for avoiding damage and finishing my opponent (I use the 10th Planet unique techniques when they present themselves) but remember 10th Planet is anything that has been proven to work. As a female competitor, Cora is always going to have bad matchups, but I believe this will only make her stronger. I say let her play the way that makes her happy.

As far as other lower belts smashing her... Who cares! Cora is a beast who is competing honestly and we have tons of respect for her
    Yes that is what I realize also. There are so many 10thplanet guys who are MMA fighters. ANd that is the closest thing to street fighting. Sure we like to compete in sport JJ but that is NOT our main goal. We only do sport JJ to keep Cora interested in the sport. But the main goal is for her to know how to defend herself in a real fight, not collecting points. Due to 10thplanet she is able to compete at this current level. If not for 10thplanet JJ, she would really get destroyed by all those boys a long time ago and would probably quit the sport like many who have come before her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast