Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland
    Eddie and co.. is the original no-gi argument from the MTRG book posted online somewhere? I'm having a hard time finding it but I did find this excellent post which I had missed before

http://www.10thplanetwatch.com/2009/...o-gi-training/

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by .BB. View Post
    I love this.
    It just makes sense.

Also, Its hard or people to argue when it is Rickson that says it.
    Yes, that does help a lot. Someday Eddie will get some respect (that he deserves) on that level and we can stop having these tiring arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Datsusara Odell View Post
    To me it's a basic scientific fact that training gi chokes isn't going to improve your no-gi, mma or street fighting ability. So really I see the rest of the BJJ community as the climate deniers who just keep believing no matter what you tell them, it's just they have a majority.
    I can agree that it may not improve your No-Gi or MMA, but it can surely help your self-defense/"street fighting" ability. Maybe you're roaming the beaches all day but where I live at least 9 months of the year people are walking around with jackets on.

Array

School
    Frostbite Vale-Tudo
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRowe View Post
    I can agree that it may not improve your No-Gi or MMA, but it can surely help your self-defense/"street fighting" ability. Maybe you're roaming the beaches all day but where I live at least 9 months of the year people are walking around with jackets on.
    Yeah, I question that guys understanding of the scientific method.

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRowe View Post
    I can possibly see the advantage of knowing lapel chokes in certain situations however for the most I don't like it, you try grabbing a guys sleeves and even collar when he's throwing windmills at you...clinching up is much easier and a natural thing to do. Will learning Jiu-Jitsu in a Gi have no cross over to self defense? Of course it will..you're still learning how to control somehow on the ground and take him down...however will it help as much with self defense as compared to no gi jiu jitsu? Not in my opinion

Array

School
    wanted to repeat this request...

Eddie and co.. is the original no-gi argument from the MTRG book posted online somewhere?

Also I see what you guys are saying with jackets even on the street, especially if you don't live in California, but even then I'd hate to rely on gi skills as someones outfit might be too different to prepare for. you'd have to drill t0shirts, v-necks, polo shirts, hoodies, jackets of all kinds, almost all of which are harder to manipulate than a big thick gi and forget about a belt being as easy to grab as a gi belt, i'll do my hip bump sweeps without that expectation.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Datsusara Odell View Post
    Also I see what you guys are saying with jackets even on the street, especially if you don't live in California, but even then I'd hate to rely on gi skills as someones outfit might be too different to prepare for. you'd have to drill t0shirts, v-necks, polo shirts, hoodies, jackets of all kinds, almost all of which are harder to manipulate than a big thick gi
    You underestimate the ability to adapt. Winter coats, denim jackets, leather jackets, any kind of jacket would take little to no adaptation. Honestly not every gi top is the same, some are tighter, some are loose, the techniques work regardless.

I'm not saying to completely rely on gi specific techniques but you claimed that they have no relevance to self-defense/street fighting which I find to be clearly false.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    Gi training can definitely save your ass in a street situation but maybe not spider guard, not sure about that one :-)
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Lololllol

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I've tapped twice to a gi choke and both times it was a bow n arrow.

Granted most 'street fights' aren't that sophisticated, but my natural instincts aided me still.

I naturally protected my neck tho.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast