Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland
    i wouldn't say none, just little and the variables are not something i'd want to have to worry about. certainly knowing how to break grips is important at a minimum.

Eddie, so can i safely assume that your original no-gi argument from Mastering the Rubber Guard is not posted anywhere online?

Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)
    The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open. DEEEEEEEEP. Hahaha.

I started out in NoGi and now I train in both - mainly due to situation but I enjoy both for different reasons.

I generally don't go too much into sleeves and collars when I roll because sometimes I don't think it's that beneficial anyway. Pant legs on the other hand...damn...a lot of shit I do gets snuffed because someone can grab a pant leg.

I think Gi is slightly more applicable for street for obvious reasons.

In terms of Sam saying that if someone grabbed your jacket you'd just punch, surely the grabbing of the jacket is breaking the posture so you cant?

Anyway - the reservoir of techniques now - there's one for most if not all situations. So in my mind as long as I'm enjoying what I'm doing, who cares.

For example, spider guard is fun. But if i'm getting my face smashed I'm not going to try doing that - if I'm NoGi I probably wont play around with it by trying to hold onto wrists.

Martial Arts/fighting is about being smart also. Assessing your environment, rules, no rules. Work out your priorities and train towards them goals.

Array

School
    I love what Henry Akins (Rickson's BB) has to say on what techniques he likes to focus on...

1. Need to develop the ability to take someone down in the street or on concrete without injuring myself.

2. All techniques I’m going to train, could be used in a situation where striking was involved and I would not be exposed to taking damage.

3. The techniques could be used on a bigger stronger opponent.

4. The techniques can be used gi or no-gi with very little variation.

- See more at: http://lovatobjjvideos.com/what-tech....PSgrrv6h.dpuf

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Firth View Post

In terms of Sam saying that if someone grabbed your jacket you'd just punch, surely the grabbing of the jacket is breaking the posture so you cant?
    Headbutt then. Done.

For me its as simple as this, if it has little to no real combat effectiveness (in an mma or street fight) it has no place in a fighting form/system. So to spend all your time practicing collar chokes and berimbolos etc would be retarded. Unless your only objective in training is sport jiu jitsu.
    Always makes me laugh when these little dickheads will train berimbolos all day long but scoff at the very idea of training rubber guard, which is a billion times better.
    Agree with everything Henry Atkins said.

Sam Sales

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    I agree with just about everything that Rickson said, especially about winning by points and advantages and relying on sleeves and collars. To me and to most of yalls on here it's pretty fucking clear but then there are people that believe tower 7's free fall collapse does not look like a controlled demo #commonsenseissometimessohardtoseeforsomepeople

Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)
    Quote Originally Posted by sam sales View Post
    Headbutt then. Done.
    I don't think it's as simple as that - but in some situations, I suppose it is as simple as that.

Its a tricky one to discuss on a forum - but I understand your point and agree with it 95%. I just think - street wise, that it could help in certain situations.

Discussing how high percentage it is, is a different story. RG is much higher success rate in my opinion.

I think gi's should be allowed in mma if that competitor wants to, it has its advantages and disadvantages, If the fighters that wear gi's begin to fail more then we know the answer. But as far as street fighting goes, throws are way more effective than punches. Even a basic throw, made much easier to perform if the person is wearing a jacket or thick shirt, will devastate whomever hits the ground. Its hard to appreciate how hard concrete is until you get thrown into it. Despite always leaning towards striking for mma, I would always attempt to trip or throw an opponent if attacked. I think more judo and geniuine akido, not the movie style fippity flop wrist locks akido, will start showing up more and more in mma. Rhonda Rousey is already a testament to its effectiveness.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by jposey View Post
    I think gi's should be allowed in mma if that competitor wants to, it has its advantages and disadvantages, If the fighters that wear gi's begin to fail more then we know the answer. But as far as street fighting goes, throws are way more effective than punches. Even a basic throw, made much easier to perform if the person is wearing a jacket or thick shirt, will devastate whomever hits the ground. Its hard to appreciate how hard concrete is until you get thrown into it. Despite always leaning towards striking for mma, I would always attempt to trip or throw an opponent if attacked. I think more judo and geniuine akido, not the movie style fippity flop wrist locks akido, will start showing up more and more in mma. Rhonda Rousey is already a testament to its effectiveness.
    I rarely ever argue against something that I don't have first hand experience. I'm just not sure that taking a throw on concrete is as "devastating" as you might believe. I've personally been hip tossed on concrete, rocks, carpet, and wood floors. I've had single and double leg slams put on me by wrestlers in bar situations as well. I've seen people take 10+ head slams into hoods, baseball bat strikes, knife wounds, and gunshots. In a high percentage of these situations, the people were surprisingly still able to fight. I truly believe that the science behind adrenal dumps and their effects are often overlooked. Perhaps I've never been thrown by the best, but I know enough to say "If an attacker isn't unconscious or completely broken" they're still a danger.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by sam sales View Post
    Sam, agreed on all points, thanks for the input and the amusing meme

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast