Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland
    Oh and if anyone has the Mastering the RG no-gi argument in a text format I'd greatly appreciate it, I don't want to type it all out but I want a compilation of the best arguments on the subject.

Array

School
    adding a few more arguments to my no-gi support list.....

4. Jean Jacques Machado on Eddie Bravo Radio podcast (http://youtu.be/YaKJu-YtmP4)

"... with so many years doing Jiu Jitsu using the gi, still today a lot of Jiu Jitsu guys rely so much the guard, the jiu jitsu game using the gi. They wrap now the gis around the legs, they wrap the gi around everywhere. I have to understand that is part of the game but one thing and one of the principals that I learned is Jiu Jitsu is based in self defense, and I think the the direction of the Jiu Jitsu today is towards the sport aspect which is two different things.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong or better or worse but if you're going to a fight I want to learn the Jiu Jitsu that is work for self defense. Which is very basic but with a very good foundation. Not the Jiu Jitsu they are doing in the sports aspect which is a very acrobatic but most of the techniques they are do there are not functioning for the fighting situation."

7. Marcelo Garcia, interview with Budo Jake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgjU1269ROQ

Budo Jake: "A lot of instructors say that you should start with the gi and maybe later no-gi, but you teach from day one 50/50 right?"

MG: "I think gi is easier to understand but I don't see a no reason to don't do both..."

Budo Jake: "Looking at your career it seems like you have switched to a no-gi style, you don't use a lot of grips, it seems like you are using more and more no gi grips in your gi training and competition is that true?"

MG: "That makes sense, but maybe it was because I went all the way to brown belt just gi. So now that i kind of do 50/50 (gi and no-gi), so it make things like, make my game similar to both. I try and find a game that is easy to use to both... I don't want to confuse my students so I show a technique that most of the time work for both. So just make simple and easy."

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Question, if training gi JJ does make you better at no-gi JJ, does gi JJ also make you're JJ better for MMA?

Array

School
    Gene, that's the argument that many present but I don't buy it. They always say "well look at all the greats, they train in the gi". But I'd bet, as does Eddie, and these people mentioned above, that we'd see a higher caliber of JJ in MMA if we started people without it, or at least didn't let people rely on gi grips.

Array

School
    10th Planet MTS
    Do any wrestlers train in gi to improve wrestling?

Array

School
    gp

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234