Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Impact and 10th Planet Portland

How Rickson Gracie feels about modern BJJ

I love this clip of Rickson talking about the state of modern BJJ.

I wonder though, he still uses some gi manipulation in his style, yes? Either way it's nice to see him commenting on over emphasis of using collars and sleeves and how that's hurting BJJ as a true martial art (at least that's my interpretation of what he's saying).

This reminds me of an old argument I get into at most schools I train at, I'm sure this will bore most of you and it goes something like this...

Instructor: Chris, why don't you want to learn the technique using gi grips, lapel/collar, jacket work etc?

Self: Because I'd prefer to learn BJJ in a manor that would be suited to all situations, such as mma or self defense and I feel that my time would be better spent working on the techniques that work across the board vs doing reps of a tech. with grips that might not be there later.

Instructor: But don't you realize that the best no-gi people and the best competitors in BJJ all train in the gi? Do you know many black belts would come in here and tell you the same thing? The only way you'll get better is to embrace all of BJJ.

Self: I know a few black belts that would disagree and I personally disagree. I also think that the people training this way, primarily 10th Planet are new to the game and few in number by comparison so it's far to early to judge at the BB level even though at brown these things can be argued well. But lets put all of that aside and just say that it's the way I want to train.

This goes much like my RG arguments but to me this argument should be obvious. So the question is, how many non-10th Planet BBs agree with this? It seems like Rickson agrees somewhat and I see his BB Henry is at least into the more functional fundamental techniques, plus I saw that vid of Nogueira talking about this as well. But who else, that's about it right?

Array

School
    Ronin
    The further the gi game goes into specific strange grips (pirate grip, lapel guard etc) the less interested I am in learning it. The sort of fundamental grips for throwing or choking interest me, but that's it.

Array

School
    It's the taking out the jacket, wrapping it around the guy, swicthing grips and flipping over type shit that really blows me away, wtf.

Array

School
    Also I realize this is essentially Eddie's argument as stated many times before. I just wonder if we have more allies in this thinking than we know of.

Sam Sales

Gi jackets suck. If a mother fucker grabs hold of my coat in a street fight Imma punch dude in the face hard, repeatedly. So for the same reason as you I won't use the lapel etc. Almost means when you roll in the gi you are rolling with a handicap though. They (training partners/competitors) will use it against you, and obviously in jiu jitsu we cant punch them. So its worth at least knowing the defence if you are going to continue doing gi. Just don't concentrate on the jacket attacks if you aren't interested in them.

IMO the gi jacket makes jiu jitsu matches even suckier to watch. These matches where its just a 50/50 foot fetish scissor fuck shitty game of tug of war dudes play its a huge part of what is wrong with jiu jitsu (that and the new super-spamming/affiliate marketing crap that everyone is doing now) and why it will never be a spectator sport. Its the ugliest and least 'combat effective' shite I have ever seen in my life. The guys that play that think they are the shit, and are doing well with it - in jiu jitsu matches. But a jiu jitsu match is so far from a real fight. Those Miyao's for example would probably get fucking squished in a fight with strikes. By a purple belt for sure, maybe even a blue.

That's just a dumb argument Sam. The Miyao brothers are competing to a rule set. If the rule set changed (I.e. Punches) of course they wouldn't be upside down half the time! Let's not forget that the guys at the elite level doing the weird stuff all have an amazing basic game too. You just never see it.

Sam Sales

Quote Originally Posted by brianspinaltap View Post
    That's just a dumb argument Sam. The Miyao brothers are competing to a rule set. If the rule set changed (I.e. Punches) of course they wouldn't be upside down half the time! Let's not forget that the guys at the elite level doing the weird stuff all have an amazing basic game too. You just never see it.
    yeah I am on about the positions. Why play something that has no effect on the street? Puts you in the worst positions ever. Basically watering the art down. It becomes less of a functional fighting form and more of a boring sport 'trying' to be flashy. I am all for evolution of jj, but that isn't evolution to me. Its not making it better, at all.
    What Eddie done was take something and make it better and even more functional for FIGHTING. Fighting in this day and age. What they are doing is the opposite.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ
    I agree with just about everything that Rickson said, especially about winning by points and advantages and relying on sleeves and collars. To me and to most of yalls on here it's pretty fucking clear but then there are people that believe tower 7's free fall collapse does not look like a controlled demo #commonsenseissometimessohardtoseeforsomepeople
    Follow me on Instagram @eddiebravo10p

SUBSCRIBE to my videos youtube.com/twistereddie

I love this.
    It just makes sense.

Also, Its hard or people to argue when it is Rickson that says it.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    I agree with just about everything that Rickson said, especially about winning by points and advantages and relying on sleeves and collars. To me and to most of yalls on here it's pretty fucking clear but then there are people that believe tower 7's free fall collapse does not look like a controlled demo #commonsenseissometimessohardtoseeforsomepeople
    Yep, funny thing too my teammate likened me to a climate change denier for making this argument, he thinks all black belts would disagree with me and hence I'm believing in nonsense. To me it's a basic scientific fact that training gi chokes isn't going to improve your no-gi, mma or street fighting ability. So really I see the rest of the BJJ community as the climate deniers who just keep believing no matter what you tell them, it's just they have a majority.

Sam, totally agreed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast