Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I think its helpful before a tournament to know what your best move is for each position and visualize using it so you react quickly instead of hesitating in a position, thinking about what you should do.

Quote Originally Posted by arthur_v View Post
    have you tried repping it mentally in first person in great detail?
    Never no. I tend to day dream about different things I want to try or work on more, but never mentally replying in first person. You really feel the benefit from it?

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Campbell View Post
    Never no. I tend to day dream about different things I want to try or work on more, but never mentally replying in first person. You really feel the benefit from it?
    yeah it has helped me stay sharper, like i remember a technique quicker in a roll. try it out and tell me your results. im curious to see if its a "placebo" on my part.

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    I feel like all i do is think about moves when im not training. Mostly i zone out when people are talking and im just getting my mental reps in. Plus im pretty sure that is how moves get created.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    I think there's definitely some benefit to visualization. Read up on mirror neurons if you're interested in this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron

tl;dr summary: There are neurons in your brain that fire the same when you observe an act as they do when you actually perform that act. So maybe observing reps can help establish the same neural pathways that are formed from doing actual reps.

I hate my job, so I do it all day at work. I think Visual reps help commit techniques to memory. This morning I was visualizing doing a electric chair sweep straight into a raver roll back take.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    What do you guys think about it? do you think mentally repping moves in your mind helpful? can it add actual reps?
    Absolutely.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Lotus club jj miami
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarett Smith View Post
    I think there's definitely some benefit to visualization. Read up on mirror neurons if you're interested in this topic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_neuron

tl;dr summary: There are neurons in your brain that fire the same when you observe an act as they do when you actually perform that act. So maybe observing reps can help establish the same neural pathways that are formed from doing actual reps.
    thanks man. im definitely going to read up on it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    thanks man. im definitely going to read up on it.
    No prob. It's pretty new to me, but it sounds promising/interesting. I heard about it in one of Stefan Kesting's Grapple Arts videos on youtube.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12