Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Only way I'm hitting flower from there is controlling posture with a hand behind the neck. K control lets a guy sit way up and I don't think I'd able to reach the neck if I started in K.
    Grabbed the potential posting hand loaded him up and nailed the sweep. Trust me it works even without controlling the posture.

Quote Originally Posted by George Katechis View Post
    i personally just love when zog says "make babies to the (anything)" easily my favorite phrase.
    Makes me laugh everytime
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by BrentSmith View Post
    Grabbed the potential posting hand loaded him up and nailed the sweep. Trust me it works even without controlling the posture.
    do you hit it with your shin in the crook of their elbow?

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentSmith View Post

doesn't that kind of control posture though?

IDK man, I'm a white belt and I'm still very by the "book." I don't really think outside the box yet. I do flower the way Vinny Mag teaches it here:

Could you describe how you get the flower on a guy posturing nice and tall?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    He has no legit rank. Even Karo said he rank under him was bullshit. As pointed out by Eddie, doesn't matter what a guy comes up with if he doesn't roll, you can't trust the source of information.
    Hi,
    After reading this - I wanted to find out a bit more about this guys rank/lineage. I did a quick google search - i didnt find much but came across this on some forum, by the guy who co-wrote his book.

http://www.lockflow.com/forum/topic/...-jj-black-belt

Neil does not do jiu-jitsu. If he has to define his style, he defines it as catch wrestling.

Neil got his black belt from Karo, and when I asked Neil about it, he said that the belt was just for grappling, not for judo or for jiu-jitsu. The belt simply signified that Neil's technical proficiency was that of a "black belt."

Since Neil is focused on teaching, he has a no-gi belt system to rank his students, giving them goals and awards for working hard. He could have done his own rank system, but the meaning of belts is clear and established so it's easier and makes more sense to fighters. The belts aren't for BJJ. The belts are for his system of grappling.

I'm writing a book with Neil on the triangle by the way. It's almost done.

-Marshal

I was thinking ....so its a black belt in nothing? No particular martial art? wtf?

Then I read in his his book he says he is a black belt in the Hayastan Grappling System - which I'll be honest, I'd never heard of. He says something along the lines of... that he called that position "K control" after Karo - the man who gave him his black belt.

Im paraphrasing obviously, but thats in his book.

Where/when did Karo call bullshit on this guy? Id be interested to read or hear that.

I got that book as a present - have not had time to read through it so cant comment on it.
    Id be pretty pissed off If I spent money on it andthe guy is full of shit.
    Id imagine other people will be too.

Sorry if this is old news.
    First Im hearing about it and it seems pretty shady/scandalous.

just found this.

http://xtremecouture.wordpress.com/c...neil-melanson/

there's an interview with him on this page where he states

NM: I got a black belt under Karo Parisyan in his version of the Hayastan Grappling System.

thats a couple of places hes said this.
    thats a bold move if its bullshit.
    is he just a crazy liar?

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    doesn't that kind of control posture though?

IDK man, I'm a white belt and I'm still very by the "book." I don't really think outside the box yet. I do flower the way Vinny Mag teaches it here:

Could you describe how you get the flower on a guy posturing nice and tall?
    I guess it does control the posture. When you load them up on your hips theres no way to posture out of it. I was picturing grabbing the head when you said "controlling posture" originally.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    He has no legit rank. Even Karo said he rank under him was bullshit. As pointed out by Eddie, doesn't matter what a guy comes up with if he doesn't roll, you can't trust the source of information.
    that's crazy, I'm surprised this hasn't been exposed, I would think it would only take a legit heavyweight going there and rolling with him.....with that being said, as a heavyweight I've watched a lot of his stuff, I always thought he was legit

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Man, if you have done enough jiujitsu and been in this game for many years, you spot this stuff. He clearly doesn't understand the finer points of grappling. We can talk about how "legit" his belt is all day, but that won't change the fact that his undsrstanding of grappling is non-existant. I'm sure he's tapping out his lightweight, white belts with this stuff. And I'm sure he actually thinks its legit moves becaus he probably eats his whole white belt gym up with them. But the reality is just being able to survive in "k-control" shows how low level his training partners are. That should be free subs.. Just sayin..

Who is this BB guy? Gotta use real names on this forum kiddo. Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Ray View Post
    Man, if you have done enough jiujitsu and been in this game for many years, you spot this stuff. He clearly doesn't understand the finer points of grappling. We can talk about how "legit" his belt is all day, but that won't change the fact that his undsrstanding of grappling is non-existant. I'm sure he's tapping out his lightweight, white belts with this stuff. And I'm sure he actually thinks its legit moves becaus he probably eats his whole white belt gym up with them. But the reality is just being able to survive in "k-control" shows how low level his training partners are. That should be free subs.. Just sayin..

Who is this BB guy? Gotta use real names on this forum kiddo. Just sayin.
    Scott... the guy is the head grappling instructor at extreme couture in Vegas. I'm guessing there are higher quality training partners there than white belts. He replaced Vinny Mag as the head instructor there. If he were a fraud it would have been called out years ago.

To be honest, you sound just like the people who hate on Eddie, putting someone down that you don't know and have never rolled with. I have actually taken a few classes under him a few years ago and he was a very good instructor (he was passionate and able to clearly deliver instruction that was absorbed by the students). He was also able to provide technical troubleshooting while watching me roll, I can attest that corrections he provided allowed me to better control my opponent. I did not see him roll (if he does roll, he must roll with someone) but his biography states that he has physical limitations.

I would love to hear Vinny's opinion of the guy.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ (SousaBJJ.com)
    Neil is the real deal. If this guy whoops Randy Coutures ass and is his grappling instructor I'd say thats legit. But I know you guys would all whip his ass. Lol. I think this move is tight. I believe its done while rolling and in transition not in a still position.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast