Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester

Breathing Techniques/Yoga

After watching the latest JRE podcast with Kron Gracie it brought up an issue I have a bad problem with, controlling my breathing. He made it sound critical to learn and I thought it would be worth giving a shot. Can anyone give some help on what videos or programs there are out there?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    There's a ginastica natural video on YouTube that has some really nice basic movements that help a lot. Also, Stephan Kesting's "Yoga for Martial Artists" is helpful. I've actually been combining both with floor gymnastics, animal crawls, sprawls and shots, and some sport specific movements such as baseball slides.

I find that if I concentrate on my breathing while doing these movements it becomes easier to breathe while rolling. Also, the bodily awareness I gain from the movements themselves helps a lot too.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I was introduced to Yamuna Body Rolling. Works great for breathing, flexibility and mobility.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    There's a technique we use in scuba diving and free diving called "packing". It's essentially lung stretches. It can make a difference very quickly. It will blow your mind how much your cardio can improve in like 2 days, even after just the first session...seriously. I was taught it by a the natives of the Cayman Islands on one if my diving trips. I have never looked for literature or instructional videos of it, but I'm sure it's out there.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    After watching the latest JRE podcast with Kron Gracie it brought up an issue I have a bad problem with, controlling my breathing. He made it sound critical to learn and I thought it would be worth giving a shot. Can anyone give some help on what videos or programs there are out there?
    Denny Put up a video showing the breath of fire and some Kundalini techniques.

Techniques:

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Breath Of Fire

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I've heard people say Pranayama is the best breathing technique but I've had problems finding a good instructional on it. I watched yoga for athletes which was kinda easy and didn't really focus on breathing.
    Denny seems to know what he's doing but I was hoping to find some more details or the science behind it so I would know if I'm doing it right.

Array

School
    10th Planet San Francisco
    The yoga warmup Denny does in each class is one of my favorite parts of training at his academy. There's something to how starting like that influences your breathing. It's almost like setting an intention in a regular yoga class.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    I've been lucky enough to train with Rickson on several occasions. 2 of those times he took the time to teach us about his breathing techniques. I don't have the control to split my abs like he does, but what I did pick up from him has been amazing.

I will tell you this: don't practice that breathing technique while you're driving. I nearly passed out and killed myself. Too much oxygen! Had to pull over and get my brain to stop spinning. For real.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    Brandon is a wizard with the breathing techniques. Its something Im really trying to spend some time on. Not sure the science behind it, but I perform much better overall if I focus on my breathing before class and do some of the Yoga style warmups

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast