Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores

Moon Heads: How did you start your school?

I've pretty much been training in martial arts since I was five. I started at one of those less legit Tae Kwon Do Plus type of schools (no offense to anyone training at one of those schools) and then eventually started training in Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan, a more traditional form of Tae Kwon Do, when I was in middle school and eventually got my black belt right before I graduated high school. My instructor was a green beret in vietnam and that's where he learned the art. I pretty much knew that I always wanted to own my own school and teach martial arts. As I got older and began watching MMA I saw the obvious holes left in my game and wanted to learn Jiu Jitsu but there weren't any schools around at the time. I've now been training at 10th planet Gulf Shores for about 4 months and am absolutely obsessed with it. I love everything about it and can't get enough. I really feel like this is what I've been searching for my whole life. I'm full blown addicted. My dream would be to one day have my own moon and be able to train every single day and to teach other people. So I guess my question to all of you moon heads out there is how did you get started? How long had you been training 10th planet before you opened your moon? Were you previously training at another moon or were you training on your own? Did you start a hotbox first? I would just like to hear everyone's story and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.
    #10P4L

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Enjoy the journey and when the time is right you will know. Sean is probably your best bet for guidance since you train with him everyday.
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Overby View Post
    ...My dream would be to one day have my own moon and be able to train every single day and to teach other people. So I guess my question to all of you moon heads out there is how did you get started? How long had you been training 10th planet before you opened your moon? Were you previously training at another moon or were you training on your own? Did you start a hotbox first? I would just like to hear everyone's story and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.
    #10P4L
    I've wondered the same thing. Would love to hear some stories.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Enjoying the journey would be an understatement. I'm loving every minute of it and am in no rush at all nor do I think that I am anywhere close to possessing the knowledge that it would take to open a school at this point. Sean is an awesome dude and I definitely look to him for guidance in my journey but I would just like to hear from some other people on what their journey in starting a school was

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Overby View Post
    I've pretty much been training in martial arts since I was five. I started at one of those less legit Tae Kwon Do Plus type of schools (no offense to anyone training at one of those schools) and then eventually started training in Tae Kwon Do Chung Do Kwan, a more traditional form of Tae Kwon Do, when I was in middle school and eventually got my black belt right before I graduated high school. My instructor was a green beret in vietnam and that's where he learned the art. I pretty much knew that I always wanted to own my own school and teach martial arts. As I got older and began watching MMA I saw the obvious holes left in my game and wanted to learn Jiu Jitsu but there weren't any schools around at the time. I've now been training at 10th planet Gulf Shores for about 4 months and am absolutely obsessed with it. I love everything about it and can't get enough. I really feel like this is what I've been searching for my whole life. I'm full blown addicted. My dream would be to one day have my own moon and be able to train every single day and to teach other people. So I guess my question to all of you moon heads out there is how did you get started? How long had you been training 10th planet before you opened your moon? Were you previously training at another moon or were you training on your own? Did you start a hotbox first? I would just like to hear everyone's story and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.
    #10P4L
    Good luck on your journey! Hope it works out for ya!

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    Andrew, thanks man. I really hope so too. I'm a firm believer in the fact that good things come to good people who bust their ass to get them, so that's what i try to do. I really appreciate the support. Good luck on your Jiu Jitsu journey as well brotha!

Array

School
    Kuzushi Club Pensacola
    Proud to be your student #KuzushiClubForLife

Array

School
    Checkmat
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Bevis View Post
    Proud to be your student #KuzushiClubForLife
    Oh! Is Derek your teacher? It's incredible to see that he achieved his dream!

Array

School
    Kuzushi Club Pensacola
    Yo Homie, I was just scrolling through the forums and randomly saw this post that you made years before I met you. I am honored to be your student/friend. I didn't know about 10P until I started training with you and I can not express in words what meeting you and the whole Kuzushi Club squad has done for my life. I will forever be grateful to you brother and am proud to have been a part of your dream.