Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    NA
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    I've always done both. I grew up doing youth then high school wrestling and we'd have two hours of strength and conditioning every morning before school then three hours of practice after school which consisted of more conditioning, stretching, drilling, and actual wrestling. I keep a simular schedule now, alternating cardio and weight training every other day in the mornings and then jits in the evenings. A schedule like this doen't require you to be REALLY FIT but it will make you REALLY FIT over time. The hard part is the first few weeks, those first few you will be dogging it in jiu-jitsu and exhausted, but after acclimating it won't negatively affect your evening training anymore, it will only make it better.
    cool thanks for your input.. i guess it just takes some discipline to be consistent when it gets tough. your body just feels ruined because you aren't in shape and used to the conditions yet... but doing conditioning and then jiu jitsu consistently will eventually get you in the desired shape...i did crossfit in the morning then jiu jitsu later on for awhile but stopped crossfit after about a month because i felt it was too much and in jits i felt wiped out especially after working too the whole day. maybe shoulda stuck to it....its hard now too i had a schedule like that in high school but since then not having that sort of team structure it's been on me to consistently do something like that on my own.

Array

School
    N/A
    simple, just kettlebells running and swimming

Array

School
    Roger Gracie Academy
    Thanks for your replys everyone.

If it helps a guy called Steve Maxwell who is a former BJJ world champion recommends Kettlebells for martial arts saying they significantly increase strength without bulking up or loss of flexibility.

Array

School
    Rey Diogo Scotland
    Insanity Rocks but crikey its hard going!!!!
    Train Intelligently

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Mat cardio and kettlebells
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by James III View Post
    Thanks for your replys everyone.

If it helps a guy called Steve Maxwell who is a former BJJ world champion recommends Kettlebells for martial arts saying they significantly increase strength without bulking up or loss of flexibility.
    Plus it increases your grip strength significantly
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Back from vacation
    Sticking with the Jiu Jitsu is the best conditioning for jiu jitsu... how long would it take one on average to see a noticeable improvement in cardio?

Array

School
    11th Dimension
    I avoid running at all costs. I even show up late to class just to miss the running warm-up. lol I dont mind stair climbing or bicycling. Running is just too damn boring. I have also done some basketball vertical jump programs that help with leg strength a lot. I also only strength train for one week a month every day then Plyometrics for the next 2 weeks all while still doing my JJ conditioning drills before class & at home. Also Ice baths help with learning to control your breathing. That is most important. I can roll for 20 minutes straight no problem when other people seem to gas in less then 3 minutes because they cant control there breathing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    I've always done both. I grew up doing youth in high school wrestling and we'd have two hours of strength and conditioning every morning before school then three hours of practice after school which consisted of more conditioning, stretching, drilling, and actual wrestling. I keep a simular schedule now, alternating cardio and weight training every other day in the mornings and then jits in the evenings. A schedule like this doen't require you to be REALLY FIT but it will make you REALLY FIT over time. The hard part is the first few weeks, those first few you will be dogging it in jiu-jitsu and exhausted, but after acclimating it won't negatively affect your evening training anymore, it will only make it better.
    Fixed!

Array

School
    joe hurst jiu jitsu undercover 10thp charlotte
    jump rope for condtioning....start out small and try to work up to 5minutes of continues jump rope for 3 rounds..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast