Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont

The Ultimate Kickboxing Thread!!!!!

It's a long time coming we had a thread for striking discussion. Topics from philosophy to footwork and from counter-punching to clinch strikes. Hopefully some of the more elite strikers will join in on the discussion. I am personally interested to see everyone's different ideas and philosophy on the striking game....

Array

School
    Crazy Monkey Norge, Oslo, Norway
    Love it! Interested to see what pops up here.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Someone start it off... Anyone have a question or a specific topic they would like to discuss?

Array

School
    10th Planet Costa Mesa
    Would it be worth it for somebody with horrible flexibility to begin kickboxing? I've thought about adding some kind of striking to my skills, but I probably couldn't even kick somebody at hip level I'm so inflexible.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarett Smith View Post
    Would it be worth it for somebody with horrible flexibility to begin kickboxing? I've thought about adding some kind of striking to my skills, but I probably couldn't even kick somebody at hip level I'm so inflexible.
    Lol. This is essentially the same answer as Eddie gives people with that question about rubbed guard: The flexibility is achievable, it just takes work.

On the second note. How I have my curriculum structured is only the highest level kickboxers are allowed to kick to the head. An even if your elite, doesn't mean your kicks are ready.. Kicking to the head is a "black belt" level move. Kicking to the body with round kicks is very dangerous for your feet and also the easiest kicks to counter by catching/takedown. So you wouldn't need that flexibility until way later in your career..

Third of all: I don't believe you necessarily NEED anything more than push kicks and leg kicks to be an effective, quality kickboxer..

Array

School
    It will definitely be worth it. For starters, your flexibility will improve by you trying to kick higher then you are currently able to. Might even be good for that jits? And if you go the Muay Thai route, you can get great results by focusing on low-kicks, punches, knees and elbows, which require less flexibility, while you are working on getting your legs high in the air. Keeping the majority of your kicks low, I also find is a lot wiser if we think self-defense. Footwear, pants, surface (especially here in Norway with our icy winters), may all make high kicks a liability while low kicks are easier to pull off.

It's also great for leg dexterity, and getting your legs to do what you want them do, independent of your arms. Also good for jits, I would presume. Plus. I think it's plenty fun.

Array

School
    Scott Ray. Do you have any cool combos to incorporate the front kick/push kick into? I am usually just throwing it out there on its own, and make my combinations with low kick.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Of course.. The lead leg push kick to the lower belly treat it like a jab. Throw the cross (rear straight), or whatever you like after it. I like to use the lead leg inside kick to a cross also. Obviously after the cross you can throw a lead hook(3) to continue the combo.

I like the 2-3-leglock also. Come off at a hard angle toward your lead leg on this one.

Tons more but these are fundamental, first week of class type combos..

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Kinda my philosophy on combos is like this. Not every strike is a power strike. Have a set power strike and that's the one you put the hot sauce on. Said strike must come after a strike (or motion) on the opposite side. Never have more than 2 power strikes per combo.

More to that philosophy, of course, but you get the idea so far.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    The double and triple jab in to the leg kick is wonderful beginner combo also...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast