Array

School
    Leverage Kuala Lumpur

Why did Eddie not continue competing after his win over Royler in 2003?

Does anyone know why did Eddie stopped competing after his win over Royler in 2003? He is still in fantastic shape and yesterday's performance was amazing and inspirational. Eddie has proved that his win in 2003 was no fluke.

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    listen to Eddie bravo radio, you'll find out.
    not enough money in grappling, and he had other opportunities i believe. the man show i think, that and something about not really wanting to do mma. he opened his school instead. something like that., he wanted to solve the problem for jj players in mma since they sucked bad at that point. its still not that great in mma, but its getting better. I would still like him to do another battle against some other legend. but he's got a kid now to take care of. oh well. this is good enough for me

Array

School
    Pontefract England
    He had to choose between training like an athlete or living the cannabis bjj laid back dream. I know which I'd choose. Once you've arrived at your destination, it's time to kick back and relax.

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Wanted to develop his association into the Jiu Jitsu powerhouse it is today.

He had a problem with steroid use in bjj. Other players were getting upset about how swole he was.

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    He had a problem with steroid use in bjj. Other players were getting upset about how swole he was.
    Idk if you've ever seen in person but being around Eddies weight and knowing the variations in sizes of competitors I've face in competition, Eddie has a very solid build for bjj. For his potential weight classes, he's not a small dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Philips View Post
    Idk if you've ever seen in person but being around Eddies weight and knowing the variations in sizes of competitors I've face in competition, Eddie has a very solid build for bjj. For his potential weight classes, he's not a small dude.
    I have. Hence why people were saying he was too swole to compete.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    You know, for the first time recently I realized why people always criticized Eddie for not competing. The general thought is that it doesn't work unless it works in competition. Even Eddie, when he sees someone bring up a new move, says, show it in competition.

Now, me knowing a few things about the system, and after doing some research, I found a bunch of video of guys using 10th Planet in competition and using it to win. So that was good enough for me. I mean, Greg Jackson has NEVER competed. He didn't quit competing. He's NEVER competed. And yet, he's one of the top trainers in MMA. I believe people should focus on the technique, not the competitor. And the techniques work. It should be undeniable. Everyone likes to talk about how they smashed a 10th planet guy, but they never talk about when 10th planet smashed their souls. Bottom line, it works. And despite not competing in like 10 years, Eddie showed that even the basic basic 10th planet material works even against a high level opponent.

The debate should be over. Royler being 48 has little to do with his inability to deal with a super basic electric chair. On forums everywhere you have hundreds of guys talking about, how they easily stuff electric chairs. It's so easy to stop. And yet, Royler couldn't deal with it. That has nothing to do with age. It has nothing to do with weight. It has everything to do with the fact that it works.

All that said, I'm glad Eddie did stop competing. I mean, if he stayed competing, we may have never gotten 10th planet the way it is now.