Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Cookeville TN - Upper Cumberland MMA
    Yea...The filter thing seems like some sort of way of defining proprietary rights to jiu jitsu...or jiu jitsu moves (even those that have yet to be invented)...or perhaps it's even a way of defining some things as either "right" or "wrong". To me, this particular concept of filter...well, it's synonymous with "limitation". One might argue that an improvement on cardio would be against "gracie" jiu jitsu criteria, because the body does not naturally want to do hill sprints and shit.

I love jiu jitsu...but I never got into it for the self defense aspects. I once got my ass beat by 3 dudes and I'm telling you...a dope triangle ain't helping you in that situation. That being said...those 3 particular criteria are not high on the the list of things I value. However...If someone else does value those things...I'm fine with it. I don't see it as unorthodox or otherwise "wrong" (perhaps I'll fitted for competition).

I was impressed with the props they threw eddie...I was worried they would be way more biased. They did okay...considering the lense (read "filter") they have to look through. All in all...we'll done

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I normally really like their break downs but they don't do a good job breaking down 10th planet moves.

Array

School
    Easton
    Amir's statement is right on. Anyone who wants a real breakdown (including R&R) should check out Eddie's latest interview on JRE. How could R&R break down something they don't even understand? Just pick up the DVD. It's amazing how a heavy crown is usually balanced by a chip on the shoulder.

Array

School
    Ronin
    I think they did a pretty good job of trying to be fair. I think people need to know the difference in moves and the positioning that goes with them. Street applicable is an issue. A lot of people think because they know Jits they can street fight and that is not the case. Training can give you a false sense of security, even knowing "Street applicable" moves. Being on the ground in a street fight is never a good idea. Rarely is it ever just one person. I think training can help with defending once you are down, but wouldn't suggest using it to start the fight.

nice point.
    if street applicability is the issue i would rather learn how to jab and punch correctly and also wrestle to avoid being taken down..

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Young View Post
    I think they did a pretty good job of trying to be fair. I think people need to know the difference in moves and the positioning that goes with them. Street applicable is an issue. A lot of people think because they know Jits they can street fight and that is not the case. Training can give you a false sense of security, even knowing "Street applicable" moves. Being on the ground in a street fight is never a good idea. Rarely is it ever just one person. I think training can help with defending once you are down, but wouldn't suggest using it to start the fight.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    So according to them, Rubber guard is an "unnatural body movement" and you wouldnt teach it to your students because they all don't have "rubbery hip flexibility".

By that same logic, Muay Thai schools shouldn't teach head kicks because some of their students lack the flexibility to pull it off
    That's actually correct. Rener is indeed saying that arts like boxing or muy thai are not a wise self defense choice for most because they require superior strength. The point Rener is trying to make is that Gracie Jiu Jitsu is more worthwhile than sport BJJ and those arts because it doesn't require greater than normal flexibility nor does it require greater than normal strength. In fact the whole point is that the weaker person using Gracie Jiu Jitsu has a chance against a bigger, stronger opponent.

I don't have a problem with anything he's saying there. I think the every school -including 10th Planet, should teach Gracie Combatives. Self defense should be foundation of any martial art. Once that is learned, then students could move on to all the fun stuff.

I love Rener and Ryron they promote BJJ better than most, however they shouldn't be commenting on moves and techniques they clearly do not know. They should have got in any 10th planet black/brown belt to demonstrate the moves and show painful each sub is especially the vaporizer

Just watched it - had to stop at 28 minutes when the mind bending "filter" conversation jumped the shark. It's starting to sound like that complicated reasoning cult members use to justify their illogical belief systems....

I'm not sure they were even agreeing with each other!

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Yes, gun would be great. But what if an attacker just bum rushes you, latches on to you up around the head and just takes you down, you can't say, oh don't take me down its pavement, are you gonna go for your gun in your back belt in a crowded bar? He just happens to step on your foot in the rush and you can't pull guard on the way down, but just get 1/4 guard, he more than likely will go for mount or just begin to frame(like Royce) to unload some bombs. I sure as hell am going for those pefect double unders to protect my face. Then most likely get up to dogfight from there. But If I didn't even learn and practice that, what would be my other options from there? In all my years I have never learned anything better. I personaly landed in that exact postion, in my college days before BJJ, so I know the situation can happen, (we were on pavement, he simply mounted me and grabbed my hair and tried to bash my skull on the pavement). Had I learned to hold that foot and go for perfect doubles in my teen years, things would have been very different. Am I not more prepared now for that type of "Street" situation because I have learned that????

Array

School
    no school in the area
    great guys that R and R, and actually quite logical that they do not talk much about the match vs. Gracie bravo. They have also seen that eddie has dominated the whole fight, so they will never ever say anything negative.
    The fact that Gracie was not ever in danger ....... bullshit but who cares we saw what eddie did fucking amazing performence
    To bad it's overshadowd about all the negatives things around it . lets enjoy this . no it's official it wasn't a fluke !

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast