Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    cobra kai
    I don't think they're talking about a situation with a gun involved. Obviously, you would just comply, unless you are a krav maga expert.

Bjj for the street is scary, training bjj has shown me I really do not want to get into a physical confrontation, especially on pavement. I would not pull half guard which is my normal go to. Imagine being cross faced, then having your skull bashed into pavement.

If anything, I would want to learn judo for street defense. Throw a guy on his head, game over.

But now, if we're indoors on carpet, that's a different story.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    I don't think they're talking about a situation with a gun involved. Obviously, you would just comply, unless you are a krav maga expert.
    No, no no, I'm talking about a situation that can be handled: 5 guys with baseball bats / knives invade your home.

Or, what might be worse, two guys with guns invade your home.

Arguing about whether deep half guard or half guard is better in these situations is stupid. Gun-jutsu can solve either of these.

The zombieland rules apply. Rule #1: cardio. Rule#2: Double-tap.

There is no zombieland rule about half-guard.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Haha, I'm not so sure. @15:34, Rener is cranking that vaporizer what, 25%? Ryron is getting ready to tap. lol
    I just wanted them to acknowledge it was a legit submission. Ryron on OpenMatRadio was even saying Eddie should have went for something else because clearly it wasn't going to work on Royler. Remember, Eddie is saying this is the most devastating leglock in the system - not just a regular "calf slicer".

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Osborn View Post
    I just wanted them to acknowledge it was a legit submission. Ryron on OpenMatRadio was even saying Eddie should have went for something else because clearly it wasn't going to work on Royler. Remember, Eddie is saying this is the most devastating leglock in the system - not just a regular "calf slicer".
    I hear you. It even seems to meet their filters. It doesn't require a unique body type, it can work on the street (as well as any other JJ can), no unnatural body movements (no more unnatural than a triangle choke in my mind).

Eh, take what you can get I guess...

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    They need to practice 1/4 guard warm ups a little so they understand the position better. Sure, I guess its similar to deep half... And mentioning how Royler could have punched him makes them come off as sore losers(not even bringing up how Master Eddie would have grabbed under hooks and gone to dog fight if he did try to punch).
    So now their argument is our jiujitsu is effective, but not street ready?
    Good luck with that Gi in California. Lots of jackets to hold onto ay? Street ready lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    So according to them, Rubber guard is an "unnatural body movement" and you wouldnt teach it to your students because they all don't have "rubbery hip flexibility".

By that same logic, Muay Thai schools shouldn't teach head kicks because some of their students lack the flexibility to pull it off

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Carbone View Post
    So according to them, Rubber guard is an "unnatural body movement" and you wouldnt teach it to your students because they all don't have "rubbery hip flexibility".

By that same logic, Muay Thai schools shouldn't teach head kicks because some of their students lack the flexibility to pull it off
    Not sure how many Eddie interviews you've heard/read, but he says a very similar thing. It makes sense.

Array

School
    HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Ash View Post
    Good luck with that Gi in California. Lots of jackets to hold onto ay? Street ready lol.
    You'd be surprised; here in LA, 60 degrees is chilly enough for people to bust out the coats.

Array

School
    Pontefract England
    I think Eddie is spot on when he says most people can hit almost all the 10p techniques and positions if they put in the time to making stretching a habit.

I do not agree that you would get smashed with punches when setting up the electric chair, as when your opponent throws a punch is the exact time to make your move which would throw your opponent off base so the punch would lose its sting.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I'm glad everyone is being civil on here, because this is pretty badly biased. Of course, I can't blame R&R at all; if I had a superhero uncle who competed and was outclassed, I couldn't appear nearly as unbiased as they do. So I don't mind if they mildly discredit the vaporizer with their ignorance of the move's intricacies, or if they imply that Eddie was stalling by staying in that position (he clearly goes apeshit trying to finish).

No, what really bothers me is this talk of filters. The idea expresses precisely what is wrong with the dogmatic closed-mindedness of far too many traditional jiujitsu schools. While it is true that we can never fully remove our subjective bias from any of our value judgments, our 'filter' can be more or less restrictive. Based on the video, if I walk into a Gracie school as a new student, they'll tell me not to use the deep half and to ignore the way other people use it. In contrast, I can't tell you how many times Eddie has said, "I suck at this and I never use it, but we are going to drill heel-hooks/kneebars/berimbolo/single-legs/etc because it will be awesome for some of you and I've seen other people make it work." The filter that they (R&R) employ is so restrictive that they're even throwing out techniques which would be useful within their own paradigm, i.e., for self-defense on the street. In contrast, our (10th Planet's) filter is informed only by individual abilities, imagination, and the amount of time in a day. I can't speak for everyone, but I have never heard "<TECHNIQUE NAME> doesn't work" in a 10th Planet gym. To me, that is a very salient difference.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast