Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    Full Contact Performance

Question on the squeeze and telegraphing techniques.

First, a little background on me to pint a better picture of my situation.

I primarily did No-Gi "Submission grappling" at a school for a few years before moving back home where it is now mainly Gi twice a week with BJJ Coach, with a couple of MMA classes with the head coach (Martin Stapleton, Bellator).

So, white belt in my Gi, I'm rolling with a purple belt on Monday who gave me the advice to relax a little while I roll; he said that he can feel how strong I am, but I'm constantly using that pressure, so it's letting him know exactly where I'm going to move all the time.

I took his advice on board because it sounded solid.

When I got home I was thinking it over and I wondered if this is only "Gi applicable"?

Since the squeeze and pressure due to lack of grips and handles in No-Gi is so important, are my No-gi tendencies giving the game away here?

I'm partially thinking that it could just be my inexperience of setting up combinations of submissions.

Any thoughts, my 10P brethren?

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    sooo much to say on this for me, I could type a book on this,but I'll just say, he is correct, kinda. You might have to break it all the way down to the extreme first. I have a saying" roll non stop for 45 minutes WITHOUT breathing hard". For sure, when rolling with this guy, relax every non essential muscle. I don't mean be a wet noodle that is no fun to roll against. You do all the right things that being a good grappling dummy should. Base, posture, protect the neck, arms in, shrimp onto your side, side in overhooks/underhooks when open, etc etc. Yes, you will tap a lot, just tap and start again right away. Turn off the muscle and open you mind, think about every move he is doing to you and why. Soon you will learn to close windows and seize them when they open. You will then have a whole lot of energy reserved for the important squeeze to close the choke. The whole be like water, invisible Jiu Jitsu , fight fire with water, technique is king, flow jitsu, human chess thing can be difficult to learn for some. If feel that this is what made Rickson so good. He was able to turn off muscle until technique was mastered, then he was able to turn it back on and destroy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    You can clinch, roll hard, roll fast, and dominate an opponent while being completely relaxed. Jiu Jitsu is the "gentle art" for a reason. Be like water.

B Mc told me last night something that may help. He said you can be heavy and mobile at the same time. I think you can be relaxed and pressure at the same time also, when you squeeze it doesn't have to be 100% and grunty. It's all about control. Locking the hips and controling the head. The position and gravity can do a lot of that for you. The squeeze is important but don't force it. Let it develop over time and repetition

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    I feel that this is what made Rickson so good. He was able to turn off muscle until technique was mastered, then he was able to turn it back on and destroy.
    There is so much truth in this statement, I'm in awe. Amen, brother. Amen.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Selective tension is what you're looking for. It's not squeezing as hard as you can; it's squeezing enough.

And squeeze a lot in practice. Exhaust yourself. Build your squeeze endurance.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)
    Sometimes I think I get accused of using my strength or because I'm big I'm dominating - but I think they are insulting my technique. Baring in mind I'm not gassing at the end of my rolls - and my fitness isn't great either. I'm not sure.

I do appreciate what you said Greg about seizing windows to attack. I sorta felt he was toying with me a bit in thisM4 4DR one. He barely attacked, maybe being more relaxed might bait my opponent out more. Selective tension sounds like a perfect analogy Brandon.

Cheers for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Array

School
    Full Contact Performance
    For some reason I have two accounts...

The one on my phone is an old one? Before the forums got nuked? :/

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg W View Post
    sooo much to say on this for me, I could type a book on this,but I'll just say, he is correct, kinda. You might have to break it all the way down to the extreme first. I have a saying" roll non stop for 45 minutes WITHOUT breathing hard". For sure, when rolling with this guy, relax every non essential muscle. I don't mean be a wet noodle that is no fun to roll against. You do all the right things that being a good grappling dummy should. Base, posture, protect the neck, arms in, shrimp onto your side, side in overhooks/underhooks when open, etc etc. Yes, you will tap a lot, just tap and start again right away. Turn off the muscle and open you mind, think about every move he is doing to you and why. Soon you will learn to close windows and seize them when they open. You will then have a whole lot of energy reserved for the important squeeze to close the choke. The whole be like water, invisible Jiu Jitsu , fight fire with water, technique is king, flow jitsu, human chess thing can be difficult to learn for some. If feel that this is what made Rickson so good. He was able to turn off muscle until technique was mastered, then he was able to turn it back on and destroy.
    This!
    That's how I roll, and I tap alot, even to lower belts, but I like to find holes in my game from all angles and try to plug them before competition. That being said, when someone decides to "hulk out" while rolling I've found that being loose and letting technique take the wheel exposes them more often than it exposes me. It's called the gentle art for a reason

Array

School
    cobra kai
    H ever rolled with a black belt? It feels like they aren't even trying, not even breathing hard, yet they get you in whatever they want. That's the level I want to get to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast