Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stretching tips

Array

School
    Star jiu jitsu/ formerly of 10th planet sherman

stretching tips

hey there, im new to the game, been training for a couple of months now at a team alliance school on top of watching and reading 10th planet books and dvds. i have been working on my flexibility in order to improve my rubber guard and have seen some results, but if anyone knows any specific stretches that work really well at improving flexibilty please lent me know.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cook View Post
    This comes up allllllll the time and the same few videos/books get thrown about, but I have a question. What the hell do you do if you are so inflexible that even attempting to stretch hurts your lower back. I don't think I can actually touch my knees if I keep my legs and back straight. I haven't tried yoga yet... but that's only because I can't afford it.
    Stretch as far as you can, hold it for 30 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, then go back to the same stretch and try to go a little further... never go so far as it hurts but to the point just before that, hold it there, and eventually you will be able to go further and further... it's a progression just like anything else you'd train. I went from not flexible AT ALL to being able to hit double lotus without my hands, etc in 6 months of stretching an hour per day and now my guard flex is excellent. If you dedicate yourself to stretching it is actually quite easy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Yoga

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    you need to stretch OBSESSIVELY after your training when your super warm and loose

i stretch when i wake up and before i sleep
    (been lazy lately)

i know its bad to stretch when your cold but it didnt do any damage to me

but yeah

be obsessive! stretch like you got somthing to proove lol

Array

School
    10th planet headquarters
    Get a foam roller.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    in about 2-3 months i have went from average/below average flexibility, to being able to butterfly more than 180 degrees and have no problem touching my toes or putting my head to my knees while sitting with my legs straight out in front of me. (the only thing i cant do is splits but i think thats just bc i never stretch to improve that area.) but all i did was do some basic stretches while sitting at home watching tv. I will just sit and do butterflys for a bit until i feel i need to relax, then relax for a few seconds, and do it again. And ill do that for about 10 minutes, then do sit and reach for ten minutes. Or pull my foot to my chest or shoulder in rubber guard position while sitting up and jyst hold it while i watch tv. And i just do that whenever i find time during the day that im just sitting somewhere. Now i tend to sit on a pillow so i can push my legs down a little farther while doing butterflys. but just keep working at it, the more time you put into it, the quicker it will work for you.

Array

School
    Star jiu jitsu/ formerly of 10th planet sherman
    yea been doing a little yoga with my girlfriend outside of training. I find yoga works as more of a recovery for my spine and sore muscles from the tough training. I mix it up with other stretches that arent really yoga excerises as well. Like a said, my flexibility isnt bad, i just want it to be better. at most i stretch an hour a day, at least 20 min.

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Be sure to do your small basic stretches before doing the more advanced ones. Ex: Before jumping right into double lotus, stretch each leg and knee separately with the butterfly, rubber guard stretches, spreading your legs and try to put your elbows on the floor. Like said above, it a progressive thing. Even if your flexibility is really good, still start off with the basic stuff to loosen your muscles so you don't have to strain to do the advances stretches. It also helps you maintain your flexibility.

Stretch all the time you will get more flexible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast