Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Effectiveness of the Lockdown

I train at a non-10th Planet school (I'm moving to 10th Planet St-Paul in December), and about once a week we have a guest instructor come in and teach. I was rolling against a kid half my size (I bet him dinner that I could triangle him) and ended up in half guard. I threw in the lockdown, as I always do, and prepared to electric sweep. The guest instructor (purple belt who owns a nearby MMA gym) tells us to stop and spends the next hour explaining how the lockdown is a gimmick that only works against people who don't know it, and should only be used on a situation by situation basis. His argument is you don't want to remove your mobility and limit sweep selection to the handful of lockdown based sweeps. He also said based on my size (6'1", 275 college lineman) the lockdown doesn't support larger legs well. While I understand his logic, I disagree, as I haven't had trouble against guys who are my size. Usually the tightness allows me to tap opponents based purely on pressure. All that said, I'd like to ask you guys the question, in what situations would the lockdown be unwise?
    Edit: All of this within the context of tournament jiu jitsu.
    Last edited by Weston Smith; 05-07-2014 at 02:08 PM.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Like under what circumstances would a person prefer standard half guard to lockdown half? Is that the question?

Yes, but also in general. This guy was very against the basic concept of locking down a leg. Is there ever a time within a roll that locking down with screw you?
    Last edited by Weston Smith; 05-07-2014 at 02:12 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ft Laudy HB
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Smith View Post
    Is there ever a time within a roll that locking down with screw you?
    No, but better believe it'll save your ass
    Chris Herzog Blue Belt

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I train at a non-10th Planet school (I'm moving to 10th Planet St-Paul in December), and about once a week we have a guest instructor come in and teach. I was rolling against a kid half my size (I bet him dinner that I could triangle him) and ended up in half guard. I threw in the lockdown, as I always do, and prepared to electric sweep. The guest instructor (purple belt who owns a nearby MMA gym) tells us to stop and spends the next hour explaining how the lockdown is a gimmick that only works against people who don't know it, and should only be used on a situation by situation basis. His argument is you don't want to remove your mobility and limit sweep selection to the handful of lockdown based sweeps. He also said based on my size (6'1", 275 college lineman) the lockdown doesn't support larger legs well. While I understand his logic, I disagree, as I haven't had trouble against guys who are my size. Usually the tightness allows me to tap opponents based purely on pressure. All that said, I'd like to ask you guys the question, in what situations would the lockdown be unwise?
    Edit: All of this within the context of tournament jiu jitsu.

Oh really?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Let me just leave this here

"The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    The lockdown is unwise when you have 1 functioning leg, no arms, and the guy in your top half has a gun to your face, with and itchy trigger finger....in a tourney

I get lockdown sweeps on guys WAAYYY bigger and better than I. Just keep working it. You think the berimbolo works for everyone at the highest level? The guys that drill it day in and day out have the best results at that level. Always go for what you want, and drill it til no one can beat it. And then get that purple to tap from an EC.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    I guess there's a submission that dudes can put on you if you have a lockdown in. Indian Death Lock? But if I recall correctly, they have to have broken your grips and be able to stand all the way up and begin to posture back. If you grab them and pull them down you can just stop them?

I'm reaching here man. I love the lockdown. It's been my focus for weeks. I pulled an electric chair sweep on a blue belt who is partial to The Way of the 10th Planet today and he got pretty excited. He beat me anyway. But he started calling me Joshua "The Electrician" Jarboe.

I hope it sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post

Oh really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Let me just leave this here

Hahahaha. This was actually my first counterpoint to him. His response was "Royler didn't know what he was doing. Try a lockdown against someone who does."

Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    And then get that purple to tap from an EC.
    I actually managed to partially do this. We were arguing over how he'd never let me have the underhooks, so I whipped up and took them. Tapped him with the 'chair. However, he is recovering from gall bladder surgery, so I won't claim the tap was real.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Jarboe View Post
    Like under what circumstances would a person prefer standard half guard to lockdown half? Is that the question?
    Yeah, when I'm looking for leg locks from half. Or if I want to transition into tornado guard or Popovitch deep half. Against certain guys, I'd rather be on my side than fight from flat on my back. But if I'm flat on my back, lockdown saves the day like 100% of the time. Lockdown does a lof of unlocking. Basically, if you're flat on your back, lockdown opens everything up because you have so many options from there. Oldschool sweep, electric series, dogfight series, stomp series, or you can use the whip up just to get to your side and transition to trad half or any other half guards you like to play. Lockdown ironically is like a key that does a lot more unlocking than locking.

Yes, but also in general. This guy was very against the basic concept of locking down a leg. Is there ever a time within a roll that locking down with screw you?
    Nah. Lockdown saves my life when I'm half assing and get flattened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast