Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Evan Tanner.

only a Gracie University post could make someone cry...
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet (Ronin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    Yo bro, I had a long list of crap to talk about from those amazing vids man. Thanks for sharing them. I have felt that Carlos's sons, minus mcdojo-ism, are far better than the "Top Branch."

I agree 1000% with your observation of history "rhyming" in a sense. Where innovation and desire to advance the art in aggression and athleticism is being stunted by the sons and students of those who tried to do it to Rolls.
    Thanks man. Glad you liked the vids.
    The dude that posted them on Youtube has a bunch of others that are really fascinating. There is one about the Rickson/Rorion rift that sheds a lot of light on why Rickson didn't compete in the USA. According to the video, basically Royce was easy to control and Rickson had expressed a desire to open his own school so Rorion screwed him over with a contract he made him sign when Rickson first came to America. The contract stated that Rickson (Royce probably signed the same contract) was not allowed to compete in the USA without Rorion's approval and that Rorion would receive 70% of the purse!
    There are interviews with various Gracies who relay the details.
    Kind of turned my stomach.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by jkenneth View Post
    Thanks man. Glad you liked the vids.
    The dude that posted them on Youtube has a bunch of others that are really fascinating. There is one about the Rickson/Rorion rift that sheds a lot of light on why Rickson didn't compete in the USA. According to the video, basically Royce was easy to control and Rickson had expressed a desire to open his own school so Rorion screwed him over with a contract he made him sign when Rickson first came to America. The contract stated that Rickson (Royce probably signed the same contract) was not allowed to compete in the USA without Rorion's approval and that Rorion would receive 70% of the purse!
    There are interviews with various Gracies who relay the details.
    Kind of turned my stomach.
    I'm definitely gonna give them a look.
    And I'm certainly getting more and more insight on the family through these vids
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ/ Brentwood BJJ
    The issue is when they talk about the "Helio Gracie" filter and indoctrinate people to believe theirs is the only right way. Other than that, it's all good. Evan Tanner became a UFC champ based off of watching instructionals. Nothing wrong with wanting to learn BJJ and make the best of a bad situation. But keeping a closed mind is no good.
    Didn't take that part into consideration......... "Hate On"

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    From my own experience, videos are great. Some of my high percentage moves come from youtube. But actual mat time with higher belts is a WAY better teacher than videos and rolling with guys at your level.

Just last week I was able to put together a few nice things and I felt pretty good about myself. A couple days ago I rolled with only higher belts and felt lost. But I learned a lot more in my recent rolls than I learned from getting taps. Not just that, but you get more reps under an instructor. You have the instructor fine tuning your mistakes to make you better. These are things videos can't do for you.

That's why I'm not anti video. I'm not even anti video rank (blue only). But I am anti cultish teachings that only your way is the right way. I'm anti traditionalism and idolatry. I'm anti ranking guys basically because they bought your product. I'm anti giving guys a false sense of security because they know how to upa....almost.

I appreciate what Rener and Ryron are doing to bring awareness to BJJ. But I also appreciate Kron's criticism that they're handing out happy meal belts too freely. I feel that it de-values bjj to a certain extent. But then again, BJJ as a community does it's own quality control and the mats don't lie. You can wear a red belt but if a white belt still taps you, we know where you're really at. So I guess in the end, it doesn't matter THAT much.
    Yup. I agree 1000% percent. The problem isn't learning the art. You can learn the art on line with your buddies, the problem is you miss the subtle nuances, the flow, and all the feel that comes from being in a gym with depth. Anyone can learn how to do a triangle or an armbar, but its the set up, the control, the way you walked into the trap and couldn't get out, and when you've got you and your boy just repping techniques you miss out on all the minute details any formally trained Jiu Jitsu player could show you when rolling.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    lol, "a sandwich you just pick up and drop when you want."

hahaha fuck. i remember looking up gracie jiu jitsu in nyc. if i remember correctly, it said students are typically promoted to blue in 6 months. what the fuck?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    videos are great and all, but unless you have someway/someone to work the technique, i feel like watching a video is pointless. my memory is not good enough for me to watch something the night before class and then remember that shit the next day.

Array

School
    Next Generation Ballymena / 10th Planet Ronin
    I never used to care about Rener always saying 'keep it playful' but then they flipped it straight around the other way talking about the metamoris match and the 'Helio filter' which you clearly can't have both and Ryron lying on the bottom during the entire match certainly isn't good self defense and no 'Helio filter' was mentioned in their review of that only ever 'aww look at Ryron keeping it playful at the highest level' . Sorta made me realise how delusional they can all be at times and how they will just make situation try and suit themselves. Anyway! I digress, with the gracie university I think you shouldn't be able to attain any ranks with it but instructional video BJJ is better than no BJJ, however with the instructionals I think it could make them go into a false sense of security about how good they really are, they could feel 10 feet tall and when they get punched for real it could all go out the window :/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456