Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    A legit instructor is a huge asset. You can bypass the holes Chris talked about. He can roll with you, then direct your training to compensate them. But there are sooo many shitty/mediocre instructors out there making online your best choice.

People who have had legit instructors from day one will have a different viewpoint. Krons dad is Rickson for Christs sake. I have taken seminars and thought, " if I started training under (insert high level black belt), where would I be? Would I be 10p?" Who knows? All I know is the quality of instruction I encountered locally was subpar. I'm gratefull to live in the information Renaissance.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Like I said, I don't think the issue is the online learning. I mean, it would be an insult to all the best instructors who share online. I think the issue is about ranking up without actually rolling. I also think Kron's issue is the marketing. He probably finds it tacky.

The problem with online combatives training is that you are never testing yourself and your limits. Only in a multiperson environment can you truly do that. Online ranking is the equivalent of saying you are a 'true fan' and any belts should be made of the same material as the toy WWE belts. But that's just my stupid opinion.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    All WWE belts are toy belts since its just a fictional tv show, a really shitty tv show.

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    People who have had legit instructors from day one will have a different viewpoint. Krons dad is Rickson for Christs sake.
    As weird as it sounds/is Rickson never trained Kron. He definitely had top level coaches because of who his dad is, but the top level coach was never Rickson.

Array

School
    10th Planet (Ronin)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray View Post
    As weird as it sounds/is Rickson never trained Kron. He definitely had top level coaches because of who his dad is, but the top level coach was never Rickson.
    True.
    During Kron's formative training years I think it was Henry Akins who was his main instructor. Henry was the head instructor at Rickosn's HQ. The two were even roommates at one point. Kron pointed out in an interview that he has only rolled with Rickson possibly 100 times or less his whole life.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by jkenneth View Post
    True.
    During Kron's formative training years I think it was Henry Akins who was his main instructor. Henry was the head instructor at Rickosn's HQ. The two were even roommates at one point. Kron pointed out in an interview that he has only rolled with Rickson possibly 100 times or less his whole life.
    Rickson beat him EVERY time!! lol
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    KJJ
    I've subscribed to GU for a couple of months before and have to say, the material is excellent. The only reason why I stopped subscribing was cuz it was just freakin' expensive (MTS is waaaaaaay more affordable, cooler, and has Renato - much better deal IMO )

But yup, its main "hook" (until they got criticised by Royce recently) was selling people blue belts, plain and simple.

In fact, there's a Gracie Academy affiliate in my country where belts are earned exactly the same way - you learn the techniques, record them at the affiliate academy till they're "video perfect", then have the video submitted, and you wait for your belt to arrive (since the instructors know what GA is looking for, it's kinda impossible to fail the test. They just keep re-recording till it's good to go).

Pretty recently, we even had a GA affiliate blue belt drop in for a class at our gym, and sad to say, he wasn't even up to the mark of our white belts who'd been rolling for 1 month+. Why? Simply cuz he didn't know what to do whenever a situation "wasn't perfect", or a particular defence "didn't work as it should". Never saw him drop in again unfortunately (I say "unfortunately" cuz he really did seem like a great guy - would've loved if he could've stuck around and learnt some real, applicable jitz, not theories that "would work in real street situations" - p.s. Pretty sure real street situations are a LOT more varied, and dangerous, than anything we do at our gym).

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    The problem with online combatives training is that you are never testing yourself and your limits. Only in a multiperson environment can you truly do that. Online ranking is the equivalent of saying you are a 'true fan' and any belts should be made of the same material as the toy WWE belts. But that's just my stupid opinion.
    To be honest, I think those WWE Championship belts actually look cooler than BJJ belts. I mean, THEY GOT BLING BABY!!

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ Downtown LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    On the contrary, it's strictly self-defense, so there is no competition.
    When I used to train there at their academy in Torrance I wanted to test my abilities. I was paying $160+ a month. I wanted to see if it was effective but I didn't want to go pick a fight. I asked what their opinion was on tournaments. I was simply told, "stay away from tournaments, stick to self-defense". I stopped going to Gracie and later found 10th Planet where competing is encouraged, I had found my new home

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast