Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin

Failed Marcelotine options?

Hi Guys,

I asked a similar question a while back, but now I know how to describe the position better I thought I'd ask in more detail:

Lets say you go for the Marcelotine, you secure their head for the choke with your right arm, you slide your right shin across your opponents abs, your left leg goes to come over the arm, but they stuff it. Some how they manage to pry your hands off their neck and they now have you in a position where they are in a kind of open guard. The danger is that here that they pass to your right side into side control.

What would you do from here?

Photo of position here (obviously imagine the choke element has been lost):

6178875389_bfd10020c0-1.jpg

(Note: I realise that the best option would have been to do the Marcelotine better)

Thanks in advance

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    idk man, run off the mat.

No seriously, I think the best thing to do (i'm just a blue belt) is to make space by kicking that left foot into the near hip--pushing off, and throwing the foot from the leg that was initially across his abdomen in his far thigh for a butterfly hook. or get z guard...
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Meathook

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Either invert an look for legs, look for 100 percent (one of my favorites). I also often look to lick up triangles from there depending where arms are an how he's defending.

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Not the exact same position but my favorite option from a failed Marcelotine is switching it to the ninja choke! I'll post a few of my wins in competition with this transition so hopefully you'll see what I mean!

Array

School
    Rhyno's Gym
    Here's another one, unfortunately this one was against a 10th Planet brother!

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    Both of those were slick finishes Logan! I'll have to try that out, if the opportunity comes up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    I really like the marcelotine. If I feel like I'm not going to be able to finish it then I try not to bail without moving onto another option. Depending on the defense they are using I like to switch to an arm drag with my right arm, the 100% (which counters the pass well), flying Kung fu move with my left leg, shoot my legs through and use the head control to get to sprawl, or recover some kind of guard. In my limited experience, the marcelotine is a great control position and whether or not it gets the finish, it can lead to any number of next positions. Hope this helps.

Array

School
    10th Planet Dawsonville Hotbox
    Marcelo has a video where he show how to finish the marcelotine after they pass to side control. Not something you want to happen but I've gotten a couple taps with it.

Array

School
    10th Planet West LA
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan Cook View Post
    Not the exact same position but my favorite option from a failed Marcelotine is switching it to the ninja choke! I'll post a few of my wins in competition with this transition so hopefully you'll see what I mean!

Love. This. I'm a sucker for guillotines in general but it's true that it leaves you in kind of a shit position if they get their head free. I'll have to start working the ninja choke in before they're fully passed.

Thanks, Logan!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast