Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Montreal

Tweaked my lower back yesterday. Need to be in okay shape for Grappers Quest Boston.

My lower back has been kinda off since yesterday. Not in great pain or anything. If I sneeze or get up too quick, I really feel it. I forced myself to roll a bit to keep up the cardio. I intend on competing at Grapplers Quest in Boston this weekend. Any tips on getting my back into "okay" shape so that I won't have to miss the competition? Thanks.

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Is it the nerves or muscles? I have bad problems with the nerves in my lower back. This is what I do: sit down and hug your knees as far into you chest as possible. Try to put your forehead on your knees. Then roll back and forth over your back. If you have problems with the nerves in your lower back, this will help stretch everything out and keep the pressure off the nerves. Do not roll hard if you roll at all. I would suggest drilling a lot instead of rolling. If you aggravate it before your competition it will be worse the day of. Good luck at the competition!!!

Array

School
    Thanks Heidi. I will stretch (especially the one you mentioned) as much as I can before the competition. But right now, the lower right side feels like it's in a semi spasmodic state. Hopefully the stretching will loosen it up. Just wondering if I need to pull out of the comp.

Array

School
    10TH Planet Morgantown
    Louis,

I agree with Heidi 100%. I do the exact same stretch every morning before I even get out of bed. I will caution you this, however... Dont OVER STRETCH a back injury! When I first hurt my lower back 5 years ago I was leaving on a 5 day cruise the next day. I was convinced that it was just a tweek or something and I set out to stretch it out in quick order so that my vacation wouldnt be ruined. The opposite was my result. I over stretched in my race against the clock and wound up get horrible back spasms that further injured me and caused pain I cannot even describe. Use a topical analgesic and alt heat and cold along with some gentle stretches and you'll be right as rain my friend

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Fort Lauderdale HB
    I have disabling issues with my back so maybe I can help a bit. If its kinda having spasms and tight then you just need to stretch and chill. If you do any more than that you could tighten up your entire back and will not be able to compete. On the competition day if your just a little sore and the muscles are a little tight go for it but, if you are feeling pretty tight in the back I would not compete. When I was in the Army we played basketball one morning and the next day my back was super tight and we ran so that caused herniated disks and surgery. Now I have nerve and muscle damage from my lower back all the way down my left leg. So trust me when I say this, listen to your body if your back is really tight hold off. Just my story.

Array

School
    Try a heating pad too. That helps relax the nerves and muscles. The biggest thing about aggravated nerves is to keep the muscles loose around it. If your muscles are tight, then it will put pressure on the nerves. Like I just said, try to take it easy with the rolling and do some other exercises to keep up your cardio.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    The stretch Heidi recommended as well as a heating pad will help a lot. Things like Icy Hot can help to loosen it up as well/keep it warm. Don't over do, and try to do something other than roll hard to keep your cardio up. Drill until Saturday. I may or may not be in Boston, depends on some things. However, GOOD LUCK!!

Array

School
    Thanks everyone. Right now, it doesn't hurt when I walk or if I sit in a good relaxed position. It is only when I use that particular muscle, it bothers me quite a bit. Like getting up from a sitting or a crouched position. This really sucks because Grapplers Quest is like a 5 hour drive for me. And my student's car seat is really bad.

Array

School
    Can you feel it your legs at all? You may want to schedule to leave really early so you can make stops to get out and walk during the trip. Or if you are riding, put your feet up on the dash board to stretch the lower part of your back every now and then.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Well, I may have an Oxycodone left over Kidding!! Can you get a muscle relaxer if it's that bad? That's an extreme solution of course, but something to consider for the drive at least. Man it sucks getting old!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast