Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec

Thought on paying for grading

I'de just like to know what you guys thoughts are about having to pay 70$ to get graded. Notice I didnt say to get a belt I said to get graded.

At first I misunderstood, I thought that the grading was free but we have to pay for seminars, so I was like okay that makes sense, all I want is to get my blue belt, sounds good to me. But then I noticed that Firas Zahabi is not only coming for grading but to do a seminar as well so than I thought it was weird that it would be free for the grading and not go to the seminar..so I asked, finally we have to pay 70$ for the seminar and the grading whether or not we want to go to the seminar or not. All I wanted is to get graded, to see if I can get my blue but I don't have the choice to pay 70$ anyways. I understand that he has to drive about 2 hours and a half to get here on a sunday so it makes sense that he charges something but 70$ when I just want to see if I qualify to get a blue belt?

What do you guys think? How does it work for u guys at 10p?

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne/ Goulburn Valley Jiu Jitsu
    I joined up & trained for years until I reached that level & was awarded my blue.
    I'm incredibly proud that my 10P JJ blue belt didn't have anything to do with money.
    Where as I look at my Karate blue belt and can tell you it cost me about $150 all up.

Array

School
    10th Planet Coquitlam
    I can see paying a coach for a private lesson to evaluate your abilities and provide advice on how to improve, but not just to 'get a belt'. In my opinion you should learn as much as you can from a coach, who really cares about the belt it is what you can do in the ring, mats, cage, street that really matters. In my opinion the belt is more a symbol of the relationship, commitment and years of service to your club or coach you learn from. Russian boxing coach says there are really only two ranks: you can fight or you can not fight. I just worry about learning new techniques and constant improvement.

Why don't you take his seminar and skip the grading if you can't afford to both?

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I wouldn't want to get ranked under anyone that I didn't formally train under. That's just my personal preference. I hope I'm not raining on your parade here.

I care a bit more about lineage than rank. So I mean, say you do get your blue from Firas. Someone asks, "you train under Firas?" No. You don't. You paid $70 bucks for him to tell you that he thinks you're at blue belt level. And then he goes on to forget that you exist. That's not really lineage.

But like I said, I care about lineage more than rank. So if you care more about rank, then why not give it a shot? You're basically buying a rank, but at least it's from someone reputable.

Mikael Chay

I understand that you would feel grossed out by your gym asking you $70 just to be allowed to try to get belted, but the way I see it, it's not the case here.

You pay $70 for a day/event comprised of a belt exam and a seminar by one of the top MMA trainers/instructors. The fact that you're not interested in attending that seminar does not change the fact that the "offer" includes it. You definitively get more for your bucks than just the opportunity to try and get a new belt.

And since you're going to be there anyway for the exam, why not also attend the seminar? I know I would. Would probably even care more about the seminar than the exam if I were in your shoes.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    The way it works in our gym is everyday on the mats is a test for your belts. Eventually over time your mat hours add up, and your skills get better, and you become the belt you earned. Going to a seminar to get a belt that you essentially paid for is kinda bush league, I understand for ronins in our system (Different Story), but to train at a school, and then go to a seminar at that school, and pay 70 dollars to get graded is kinda silly in my opinion. Your belt should be earned 150% before you even get it. But thats strictly my opinion. Chasing belts does nothing for you, I'd say all the tournaments except the IBJJF you enter with years of experience/mat time, rather than a belt rank. Just keep on Keepin on.

Array

School
    10th planet Ronin, Choi institute.
    Why get ranked by a teacher who does not know you(r abilities)? Get ranked by your local instructor. In case you do not have one, a seminar will not give the visiting teacher enough time to test your skill set anyway. There are plenty of schools you can visit to get tested for free; just spend enough time there for the instructor to be able to accurately rank you.

Array

School
    Movimento BJJ
    My first gym (a gi school) would have a belt promotion once a year. If you were going to get belted then you had to pay like $80 to get it. No money or you can't make that day then you'd have to wait until next year. If you were only getting stripes, you could attend for free. He didn't even test you that day, he determined in advance who was getting promoted.

I thought this way was ridiculous but I have heard it is common practice in some of the traditional schools since they figure you won't pay to test unless you're really ready for the higher belt. Maybe it's their way of weeding out people who want to test every time even if they aren't close to being ready?

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by John Mejia View Post
    The way it works in our gym is everyday on the mats is a test for your belts. Eventually over time your mat hours add up, and your skills get better, and you become the belt you earned. Going to a seminar to get a belt that you essentially paid for is kinda bush league, I understand for ronins in our system (Different Story), but to train at a school, and then go to a seminar at that school, and pay 70 dollars to get graded is kinda silly in my opinion. Your belt should be earned 150% before you even get it. But thats strictly my opinion. Chasing belts does nothing for you, I'd say all the tournaments except the IBJJF you enter with years of experience/mat time, rather than a belt rank. Just keep on Keepin on.
    Yep 100% in agreement. You gotta be smashing your belt level and giving problems to the next guys up to earn that next belt IMO
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ Downtown LA
    The reason I never got my blue from The Gracie Academy was because at the time of their testing I could not afford to pay the $200 (more or less I can't remember exact price). I was on unemployment and barely able to pay the monthly fee of $160 a month. No money, no test, no promotion. Now I'm at Hq I'm glad there is no testing fee. Really shows Eddie isn't in it for the money.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast