Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    well you know what any pro would say when it comes to grappling, going for takedowns and getting on top is your first objective. pulling guard is a backup objective if the takedowns arent working as well as you hoped.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by FiErCe_oNi View Post
    well you know what any pro would say when it comes to grappling, going for takedowns and getting on top is your first objective. pulling guard is a backup objective if the takedowns arent working as well as you hoped.
    unless you're Aoki. lol

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    haha he already has submissions locked in before anyone even hits the ground

Where did you do your 7 years of kickboxing? Was it all in a good kickboxing gym?

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    Where did you do your 7 years of kickboxing? Was it all in a good kickboxing gym?
    Trained in Shito-Ryu Karate for a long time...it wasn't McDojo karate at all. It was kickboxing thru and thru, just with Kata's on the side. I stopped doing it years ago, but I never stopped training in kickboxing. I've been sparring with other fighters a lot over the years and I have quit a few knockouts in sparring lol. I have really good combos and leg kicks. :]

Array

School
    Rōnin
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffRace727 View Post
    Trained in Shito-Ryu Karate for a long time...it wasn't McDojo karate at all. It was kickboxing thru and thru, just with Kata's on the side. I stopped doing it years ago, but I never stopped training in kickboxing. I've been sparring with other fighters a lot over the years and I have quit a few knockouts in sparring lol. I have really good combos and leg kicks. :]
    you could probably tare the guy your fighting apart standing then.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    you could probably tare the guy your fighting apart standing then.
    that is what I'm thinking. I might also recruit a retired pro boxer who lives in my town to train me a little, he once fought Roy Jones JR. back in the day, but he got his jaw broken by him haha

So. No real training for an extended time recently in a dedicated kickboxing gym? In that case I would lead with a strong 1-2, and clinch the guy when he goes to punch back. Try to trip him, and when it goes to the ground top or bottom work him over.

A game plan for a first fight is pretty worthless IMO. What IS important is you spend as much training time as possible in the worst positions you can think of that can happen in the fight, and fighting out of them. Then, if you get stuck in a bad spot on fight day, reflexes take over, and all is well. Alot of nerves in a first fight, regardless of skills. Keep it simple IMO, and work as much as possible on things that can go badly and work out of those positions.

Array

School
    Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    So. No real training for an extended time recently in a dedicated kickboxing gym? In that case I would lead with a strong 1-2, and clinch the guy when he goes to punch back. Try to trip him, and when it goes to the ground top or bottom work him over.

A game plan for a first fight is pretty worthless IMO. What IS important is you spend as much training time as possible in the worst positions you can think of that can happen in the fight, and fighting out of them. Then, if you get stuck in a bad spot on fight day, reflexes take over, and all is well. Alot of nerves in a first fight, regardless of skills. Keep it simple IMO, and work as much as possible on things that can go badly and work out of those positions.
    Right. That is probably the thing I have worked on the least. When it comes to bad positions, ex mount, rear mount. I don't have like ANY strike defense cause I haven't worked any "ground and pound" shit yet, its always been either stand up, or jiu jitsu. I've JUST signed up for this fight so I haven't been really training for MMA..but I have two months and that should be sufficient, since I'm facing a guy I see to be inferior just about everywhere except the clinch maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffRace727 View Post
    Right. That is probably the thing I have worked on the least. When it comes to bad positions, ex mount, rear mount. I don't have like ANY strike defense cause I haven't worked any "ground and pound" shit yet, its always been either stand up, or jiu jitsu. I've JUST signed up for this fight so I haven't been really training for MMA..but I have two months and that should be sufficient, since I'm facing a guy I see to be inferior just about everywhere except the clinch maybe.
    Well, is this your first fight? BEcause at the moment, you are theoretically the better striker, but fact is, if you have not done it at a competitive level (Boxing/kickboxing/MMA comp) you really dont know what you will do on game day. Its not his first fight, and I have seen guys make improvments of leaps and bounds from one fight to the next, esp from the first fight. SO if you have a solid ground game, that is, by far what I would focus on the most, using it, and making the fight take that course (solid 1-2 often can force a guy to clinch with you, and prevents many exchanges).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast