Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Freaks
    I only got to feel this a couple times before my injury but the counters being offered aren't as easy of a solution as they sound. At least I never found them to be when comparing to a similar situation of the opponent stuffing your leg and pressure passing in New Jersey.

First, double bagger just doesn't apply. You're in New Jersey and he has ahold of your leg. If he has a good hold, you're not getting back to full guard.

When you're in New Jersey and the opponent is pressuring forward, stuffing the leg properly, it's really hard to play any of the Kung fu options. You have to be able to both get the angle and bring your leg with you. Many times they will also have your stuffed leg pinched between their knees as well as a tight grip with their arm. It's also hard to hold back an aggressive passer in New Jersey with meat hook. I see good RG players have a hard time with this situation all the time when going against a higher level opponent or an explosive wrestler type who keeps tight and has a strong hold of the leg while passing.

He's going to have the same factors going for him in this pass variation as dealing with an opponent trying to pressure pass. The only option I found a high percentage of success with against higher level opponents in this sort of situation was Hindu control. It stops the pass option, doesn't let them back out when caught in a sub, and it will stop his ability to roll with this variation. He will also be practically handing you the hindulotine by lowering his head to the mat for the roll.

That said, you're going to have to beat him to the punch and get to Hindu control before he rolls. I see this pass successfully working against Kung fu options and meat hooks which is most current RG players games in New Jersey. Especially if he adds the detail of putting his head down up near your armpit instead of your waist as this would make the carni option that much harder.
    https://www.facebook.com/ben.eddy.56 insta #jesushadamoustache

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ (SousaBJJ.com)
    He calls it the rubber guard killer in homage to bill coopers deep half guard killer. And whatever counter there is there is a counter to that and so on. The point is he won EBI so he obviously figured something out

There's obviously ways to defend this RG defence like any technique, but wouldn't these techniques be something to add to the system? It's only going to make all RG players aware of it, and strengthen the rubber guard offence and defence game

Quote Originally Posted by Ericp View Post
    He calls it the rubber guard killer in homage to bill coopers deep half guard killer. And whatever counter there is there is a counter to that and so on. The point is he won EBI so he obviously figured something out
    This

Array

School
    elite mma
    this is just a way to break rubber guard, just like there are ways to break regular guard, it doesn't mean regular guard or rubber guard doesn't work any more. "killing the rubber guard" phrase is maybe the issue for us 10p lovers lol

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha/ SIMS Martial Arts Academy
    ben eddy dropping science, loving hindu control man

Array

School
    10th Planet Corona AOK
    Hubber guard isn't going anywhere! There's too many options, Gary Tonnen is a bad ass and he found a solution to ONE position of the Rubberguard path. But I'm willing to bet some of the mad scientists we have will find a counter to that and so on. It's all progress my friends.
    No Jiu Jitsu, No Life
    Know Jiu Jitsu, Know Life

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Loving the open mindedness on here. Strong post by Ben Eddie. I've passed RG dozens of times so it doesn't bother me when guys come up with a pass. Personally, I'm still skeptical. I'd like to see him at least live drill it with a high level RG player. A killer RG player will confirm for sure if this is high percentage, or just a high risk hail mary kind of move.

Array

School
    FLMAC/10th planet Ronin
    He is The EBI champion mad #hespect

Array

School
    NO 10TH PLANET WHERE I LIVE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Walker View Post
    Obviously Gary knows what's up (and certainly doesn't need me to say so), and this escape surely has a place. I think that labeling this video "killing the rubber guard" is what might be a bit offensive to some. Or at least come off a little pretentious. I doubt he meant it that way.
    Well said ,
    I met up with Garry @ EBI , Truly a nice guy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast