Garry Tonon on How to KILL the Rubber Guard

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    I don't hate it....time and a place for everything

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Wouldn't a simple solution to this method of "killing" the rubberguard (horrible phrasing) be stopped in its tracks with something simple like double bagging? My go-to escape from rubberguard was similar to his but after I get that foot under my leg, if they zombied my arm, I'd use that zombied arm to reach all the way back and grab the foot that I put under my leg it made it easier to step over that leg completely and then work on some kind of position from there, I usually end up in side control if I can clear the leg properly. (Hope that makes sense) I didn't learn it from the system, it works for me but it could have some huge flaws I haven't thought of yet!

Array

School
    Rōnin
    My novice thoughts are that's not even a full squared up RG, seconded it doesn't stop any attacks, and the last thing is if you can stuff the knee can't you just pass with a knee slice or something.

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Timmermans View Post
    My novice thoughts are that's not even a full squared up RG, seconded it doesn't stop any attacks, and the last thing is if you can stuff the knee can't you just pass with a knee slice or something.
    You don't necessarily want to be completely squared up when playing RG. Just like any other guard, the more you hip out, the more mobility you are going to have in the hip that is up. And in the case of the RG, the less stress you will put on the knee.

The bigger issue, as I see it, would be not playing with a tight knee squeeze with the right leg and little to no leg curl for posture control with the left leg. This will kill a loose RG a lot easier than a tight RG.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    This should work well on a weak rubber guard so it definitely has it's place. However I think he might end up giving up the sweep against the more experienced rubber guard players out there. Fair play to Garry though you gotta try something, no point purely outright defending against any guard, just waiting for the guard player to make a mistake gets higher and higher risk as you go up the levels.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I haven't listened to the audio (at office) so maybe Tonon addresses this, but here's the possible counter-counter that popped into my head after a cursory viewing of this video:

Assuming he isn't able to first prevent Tonan from stepping over his right leg, the rubber guard player reaches down with this right hand to pull Tonon's left elbow up to his waist so that he can throw his leg wide after/during Tonon's somersault and land in mount (or less preferably top of deep half).

Array

School
    Victory MMA; 10th Planet Ronin
    Obviously Gary knows what's up (and certainly doesn't need me to say so), and this escape surely has a place. I think that labeling this video "killing the rubber guard" is what might be a bit offensive to some. Or at least come off a little pretentious. I doubt he meant it that way.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I don't hate it but as soon as I start to clear the neck and he begins to post up and roll I could prolly beat him to jiu claw. I'm sure it could work but I'm willing to be the would run into problems too

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    I showed this to Eddie this weekend at the Rochester seminar and everyone agreed that we would just clear the neck. You cant hang out in new jersey without a meat hook or just go carni. Thats why i drive thru jersey fast and never hang out there for very long. They do have some cool things but living there is not ideal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast