Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    If you must rest, make sure it's in a position where he can't lay his weight on you. That's one reason I love deep half guard. In deep half you only carry the weight of his leg. Butterfly is great against big guys, too.

From top, traditional side control is really tough. They'll often try to bench press you across the room. I like knee on belly against big dudes. They hate that pressure and they will often make a mistake more quickly than a little guy will. Plus knee ok belly offers me the mobility to be able to spin to the back quickly. And no matter how big they are, the back is where it's at. Everybody chokes the same.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

You're on the right track. You need to use guards that keep the distance. De La Riva, Reverse De La Riva, knee shield, and even spider guard as a defensive position to get to other guards while keeping the distance. Always leg pummel, foot on the bicep, foot on the hip, frame with your hands. I know this is a 10P forum but I would never use lockdown or any closed guard or traditional half guard on big guys. The worst thing you can do is close the distance on a big guy and have his weight on you.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    And no matter how big they are, the back is where it's at. Everybody chokes the same.
    Tell that to the potato monster I train with that I guarantee you'll see on metamoris in a few years. Natural vegetarian since birth and he survives on potatoes and cheese pizza and we all find him very hard to choke, the dude defies science. Hahahaha

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa
    Another big guy opinion... Take it for what it is.
    I love when MOST smaller guys play half guard. There are exceptions and those are usually ones who play deep half or knee shield very well, but I'd say... 85 percent of the time if a guy under competition purple pulls half guard on me, I can follow the simple flatten them out, smash, pass formula.
    Not saying don't play half, it's not bad per say, it just seems it's a high percentage guard for me. Same with closed guard. Anything where your going to willingly accept or risk accepting my weight on top of you.

Usually your going to have a speed and possibly conditioning advantage. Use that.
    Stay on top as much as humanly possible. From the bottom I would def go for and guard that maintains distance. In half just make sure you don't go flat. Some other details would depend on your body type.

Lastly, on leg locks... I love leglocks, I'm one of the guys that goes for the most leglocks at both gyms... But, if your going to go for leglocks from the bottom against a bigger guy... Be careful. Position is worth so much against a bigger opponent. Even though I am myself big, when I'm fighting strong light heavy and heavyweights I am VERY hesitant to drop for a leglock unless I am sure I've got it.

Of course, this question was about training partners not completion, so it's always good to try. Just be aware.

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Great help from everyone who posted on this thread, rolling later on after work so I'll try some of this stuff out!

Array

School
    10th Planet Mobile, Al
    Armdrags, open, butterfly. Much of which has already been mentioned. The main thing for me is realizing the significance of not allowing them to pass and settle in before it happens. Constant frames and shrimping. And maybe not taking the early sub in lue of keeping a good position that is gained to not have to deal with them a 2nd time. Mobility on top. Constant transitioning to match their attempted escapes. Also, know the positions you get big boyed in and plan accordingly.

Personally because big guys seem to like to drive forward (in my experience) I use butterfly guard and Marcelo's got a two on one wrist / elbow control sweep where you bait them by driving forward and when they push back use an arm drag to take the back, it's my go to sweep

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    The human body is built for things in front of it. The eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and limbs all point forward. By being behind someone you take away all of those advantages. It doesn't matter how big the guy is if he can't see you or reach you, all that matters now is his defense.

Array

School
    10th Planet Enterprise
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Davis View Post
    The human body is built for things in front of it. The eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and limbs all point forward. By being behind someone you take away all of those advantages. It doesn't matter how big the guy is if he can't see you or reach you, all that matters now is his defense.
    Think about this: when you are in a dark alley way what scares you more, a person walking towards you or a person walking behind you? It's in our instincts to fear getting our back taken.

Array

School
    In my mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Clark View Post
    Top crucifex from judo side control a'la Zog's series from TWIR, but only if I can't hit the truck/back. Marcelotines and n/s if they present themselves.

Also, something that I was working on was not conceding top position with bigger and more experienced guys. If I'm on my back, create space and get to my knees to try a reversal or just stand up to either wrestle or work some standing guard passes or rolling kimuras.
    This is exactly how Chad controls me lol. There's also a 3 stripe deep blue belt that completely controls me via butterfly hooks, lifts, and constant threats to get under my hips. He's a fast 147. The purples I've had the opportunity to work with have all followed the same outline as all those above and quite successfully.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast